Chapter 47

Chapter Forty-Seven…

What is going on here?” Mrs. Danks asked, her voice almost high pitched enough for only dogs to hear, her face red and her breathing laboured - probably from the strenuous walk from wherever she’d come from - as she observed the scene before her.

Jord had instantly dropped his hold on Matt and turned around. His breathing was just as arduous as Mrs. Danks‘, but that was from the physical exertion he’d just put into his fight with Matt, who was also breathing hard.

Jord’s face was still enraged, but I could tell he was trying to regain some kind of professional composure. His eyes still held a dangerous gleam though and it was clear he was still more than a bit riled up. “What do you think you’re doing Mr. Armstrong?” Mrs. Danks’ eyes bored into his as she still held the incredulous quality in her face.

Matt appeared from behind me and Jord and I saw his fist clench. I felt the danger that was surrounding the situation and prayed neither brother would do something stupid. “I…” Jord began, unsure of how he was supposed to diffuse this without making it worse.

“I think all three of you need to come to my office.” She ordered, rather than suggested like her words implied.

Jord walked in front, I made sure to stay in the middle and Matt at the back. Somewhere along the way, however, we all managed to form a line so we could talk to each other. “What have you two done?” I hissed quietly when I knew we weren’t going to be overheard.

Matt and Jord glared at each other, but neither attempted to restart their fight. “Jordan punched me!” Matt exclaimed in a whisper, already having put the blame on his brother.

“Matt provoked me.” Jord rebutted, scowling at his sibling.

I sighed exasperatedly. “Can’t you just agree this is both of your faults and start thinking of a way out of it?”

They both paused for a moment, before finally nodding in acknowledgement of my suggestion. “Fine.” Jord agreed. “But what do we do? We don’t even know what she’s going to do yet?”

Matt grimaced. “No, but we’re about to find out.”

Mrs. Danks had come to a halt in front of us, having reached her office. I guess we didn’t have time to come up with some kind of excuse other than the real reason, which obviously wasn’t going to be spoken aloud, after all.

“I’ll speak to you all together at first, but be warned I will be talking to you individually afterwards.” Mrs. Danks gestured for us to enter her office and occupy the three conveniently placed seats in front of her desk.

“So, who’s going to give me some kind of explanation?” Her eyes scanned across all three of us, stopping longer on Jord and Matt, since they had been the ones actually exchanging punches.

“We were fighting.” Matt began, making Mrs. Hippo narrow her eyes at him.

“This is not the time for cheek…” She trailed off, realising she didn’t even know who he was.

“Matt.” He filled in for here. “I’m Jordan’s brother.”

That fact in itself should be a step in convincing her this was nothing, but I knew it was only one of many. Shock momentarily crossed Mrs. Danks’ face, before she remembered where she was and made it neutral again. “I guess that explains a lot.” She commented, before waiting for a real recital.

“I was fighting with Matt because…” Jord’s eyebrows furrowed manically as he tried to come up with some kind of realistic response that wouldn’t threaten our relationship. “My girlfriend Lydia was cheating on me with him.”