Chapter 41

Chapter Forty-One…

“Well, I’m glad to be getting out of there.” I announced as soon as we had exited the classroom, a sigh of relief instantly escaping my lips.

“Agreed.” Jord granted, looking back at the shut and shaking his head in annoyance.

“Stupid Leonie and her stupid rumours.” I muttered, glancing now at Anna who was obviously wondering what we were so worked up about. “So, what’s up?” I inquired, deciding I ought to at least find out what we had been called out for.

“As I’m now dealing with your parents, they’ve put me in charge of the thing with Arthur as well.” She explained. “So, I’m here to take your statements.”

That made sense and I was almost relieved that Anna was going to be the main police officer questioning us, because I trusted her a lot more than the rest of them at the moment. Although she had pushed us in the Zack case, that proved to me that she was just good at her job. Something that was needed when it came to convicting my father.

“We’re going to Mrs. Danks’ office, she’s offered it to me to let us speak in.”

From the amount of times we’d been there during the Zack case, I knew Anna would know where Mrs. Danks’ office was, so we followed her and opted to lag behind a bit instead.

“They’re going to be cooking up some really bad things in there.” Jord pointed out in a lowered voice, so that Anna wouldn’t be eavesdropping on our conversation.

Sighing, I nodded. “I know.” I complained. “I don’t think I want to go back in there.”

“I’m hoping we won’t have to.” Jord agreed, smirking. “As long as this statement takes a long enough time, then I don’t see why either of us should have to go back this period.”

I grinned at his ingenious solution. We could avoid that classroom at all costs until the bell went and then I could find out off Grace what they’d managed to invent whilst we were gone. Foolproof, really.

When we reached Mrs Danks’ office, it surprised me by how long it had actually been since I had last been in there. Since the case with Zack, I’d cleaned up my act and attitude at school, so much so that I was never sent to the headmistresses office anymore. I’d been kind of hoping that I would never have to come back here, but of course that wasn’t the case with how my life seemed to play out.

“So, I obviously have the basic outline of what happened from the police officers who were at the scene, but we have little in the way of what was going on before we got there. That’s going to be the main aspect of what your statement will discuss.” Anna told me, telling me what I already had guessed. The way she said it was as though she had been given a script to read from, with all the overly complicated words she chose to use, or maybe she just spoke like that normally. Just because it wasn’t common, didn’t mean their weren’t some posh people in Sheffield.

She turned to Jord then, deciding to outline what his statement would consist of. “You saw Arthur taking Jessica from you’re classroom, so you’ll need to say what you saw there. Also, you made the call to Jessica, so you’ll need to tell me what you heard during the conversation. Other than that, there shouldn’t really be too much more for you to say.”

I was glad there was going to be nothing more than a simple recap of what happened. It might take long enough for us to avoid going back to the classroom, but not be too in depth and make either of us upset. This would be simple enough.

That was what I thought, anyway.

Giving the statement’s themselves took no time at all and after about twenty minutes we’d recapped the entire event for the recording device, even with me remembering to call Jord Mr. Armstrong and him calling me Jessica.