Chapter 49

Chapter Forty-Nine…

I felt my face turn pale as I recognised the voice declaring what they’d witnessed.

“I was coming to the classroom and I saw you and then I ran off again, I didn’t even know what to think.”

“Look, you’d better come in.” Jord told them reluctantly, knowing that with his mother here this wasn’t going to be pleasant. No doubt she had heard what the voice was claiming to have seen now and the glare on her face backed up my theory.

Anna’s reluctant figure appeared in the main room as she observed the people currently sat there. Her eyes widened when she realised Jord wasn’t alone and she glanced at me guiltily, hoping that she hadn’t dropped us in it. Yet, anyway.

She still had that power.

Jord followed her in and retook his seat next to me, avoiding everyone’s eyes as he glanced at Anna. “I guess you should sit down.” He told her, gesturing to a chair that no one tended to sit on.

The atmosphere in the room had suddenly become extremely gloomy and everyone’s face, except Audrey’s, carried the same weight of apprehension as we waited for something to happen. For someone to speak and break the increasingly awkward silence.

“May I ask, why were you and Jessica kissing in your classroom?” Audrey demanded, deciding she wasn’t going to be subject to the uncomfortable mood whilst she was practically clueless.

I averted my eyes and Jord coughed uneasily. Neither of us knew what to say to her, without sounding either crude or cheesy.

Jord and I glared at Matt simultaneously when he released a small chuckle, knowing the conundrum we’d just been placed in. Surprisingly, Audrey joined in our glaring and sent Matt a quick scowl. “Stay out of this Matt, it’s none of your business, since you’ve obviously been informed before me.”

Although the glare was aimed at Matt, the dig was at us, Jord in particular.

“Well…” I trailed off, unsure of what exactly I was supposed to tell her, with Anna still in our presence. She wasn’t in the police uniform she normally donned, so Audrey had no way of telling who she actually was, other than an acquaintance of ours.

“Well what? It doesn’t sound like nothing, by the way this girl came in blubbering about it.” Audrey scolded gesturing at Anna.

Anna flushed, something I’d never see her do when she was speaking to us before. I’d never really seen her in anything other than a professional light, however, so I shouldn’t really have been surprised. “Maybe I saw it wrong…” She muttered, her face clearly telling us she knew that was a lie, but trying to save us from the endless questions Audrey would no doubt unleash.

“Stop lying, you saw what you saw, now these two need to explain it.”

“I was upset and Jord was trying to comfort me?” Even though technically, that was the exact reasoning of his kiss, it still came out like a question.

Jord nodded eagerly. “Yeah, that was all. Jess looked really sad and I thought that maybe-”

He didn’t even have time to finish his sentence before Audrey had interrupted with an incredulous snort, however. “I didn’t think you’d need to lie to me, Jordan, my own son.”

Her face didn’t appear particularly wounded, but I knew she was trying to guilt trip him into telling her the truth. She didn’t need to even bother though, really, because everyone in the room knew she’d get it out of us eventually anyway.

“Urm.”

I still couldn’t bring myself to be the one to say it, even with the piercing gaze urging me on.