Chapter 19

Chapter Nineteen…

His last comment struck me as slightly strange and his voice had sounded rather menacing as he seemed to vow that she wouldn’t escape this predicament. I didn’t have time to ponder it though, because Mel had spoken, breaking me out of my trance like state of surprise. 

“What, was that about?” She inquired, sounding almost exasperated as she looked at me expectantly. “You know, I don’t think there’s a moment in your life without some form of drama anymore.”

I sighed. “Lets just go inside. I think I have a lot of explaining to do.” 

“Damn Right.” She muttered, following me inside. 

“What did you work out from that conversation then?” I asked, guessing that she could have gathered the story from that short exchange and so I wouldn’t really have too much explaining to do. And to be honest, giving her a rundown on the latest events wasn’t top on my list of priorities. 

“Well, I can guess that man is your father.” She paused, seeing if she was correct. I nodded glumly. “And he wants shared custody of you.” I gave her the affirmative gesture once again. “He’s blackmailing you.” She stated. “Because your mother’s on drugs.” 

She had listed the last detail particularly hesitantly as she awaited my reaction. I didn’t know whether she thought I was going to react really badly because I’d never told her that before and it was clearly a big problem in my life. 

Instead, I just winced slightly. There was no point in getting worked up over that. It was something I’d come to terms with a long time ago. “That’s right. Looks like I don’t need to do any explaining after all then.” I said, my tone lighter than I was feeling. 

Mel looked at me incredulously. “How long has your mother been an addict?” She inquired, unsatisfied with the knowledge I’d presented her with. 

“About two years.” 

She gaped, her eyes widening significantly. “Two years! And you didn’t think to tell me?!” She cried. 

I shrugged guiltily. “I didn’t tell anyone.” I offered by way of justification. “Besides, you’ve just witnessed what could happen if that got out. I’d be taken away from her and I couldn’t let that happen. That’s why I never told anyone.” 

“So who actually knows?” She inquired. 

“You, Arthur, Matt, Jord and their mother.” I told her, realising that that would rile her even more, knowing she was the last to find out of five people. 

“You told all of them before me?” 

“To be fair, I didn’t want to tell any of them.” I reasoned. Despite not wanting to tell anyone, I was grateful of the support Jord had given me whilst I was dealing it. He just always knew what to say to make things marginally better. 

Mel shook her head ruefully. “I guess you never really had any intention of telling me after I’d been such a bitch.”