40. Cruel Laughter

Nicks POV

"Hey Nick, I have some bad news." Harris looked grim.

So he found out about Jeramy already! I quickly dropped my smile, attempting to match whatever expression Harris had.

"Yeah?" I put on a concerned frown.

"It's Jeramy. We've confirmed him as the latest victim of the Coal Creek Killer."

Harris looked dark, maybe even slightly angered. It was surprising to see from him.

"Oh no." I covered my mouth to hide my smile from Harris. The joy in my chest was nearly impossible to mask.

"I know." He looked down at his shoes. "I never wanted to have this kind of conversation. It's tough losing one of our own."

I placed my hand on his shoulder in attempt to comfort him. He was surprised by the gesture but looked appreciative.

"We have to tell the group, before they find out on their own." He nodded towards the room where I was about to meet with the volunteer students below me.

"Absolutely." I agreed. It was better when I got to see everyone's first reactions to my crimes.

Harris followed me into the room where the volunteer group were beginning to gather. I took my seat at the head of the table and Harris sat to my side. We watched as people shambled in, chatting happily with no idea one of them wouldn't be coming.
Soon a woman came in. Her name was Elizabeth and it was her reaction I wanted to see most of all. She sat in her usual seat, placing an extra coffee in the empty spot by her. I tried not to laugh each time Elizabeth glanced at the door expectantly. She had a slight worried pout as she waited for her boyfriend, as she did every day that our volunteer class was summoned. Her sad eyes looked at the clock and her frown deepened as she realized how late he was.

"We're starting, everyone find a seat." I announced and I almost couldn't hold in my laugh as I saw how defeated she was that Jeramy didn't enter.

Her face was red as she grabbed the coffee that she had sat in the seat she saved for Jeramy. She was stuck with two coffees for herself now and she glanced around awkwardly, wondering if anybody noticed her embarrassment. Her eyes landed on me and her face reddened even more as she saw my smirk. She had no idea that I had killed Jeramy Friday night. It was Monday now. How had she gone the whole weekend without realizing he was missing?

I looked to Harris who nodded in support. He thought I was struggling to deliver the news.

"Class, I have some sad news..." I began with a forced sorrowful expression.

The class sat up attentively, eagerly waiting for news about the case.

"More pictures were updated on the county website!" Drake announced to the classroom.

Everybody scrambled to see the new photos. Harris put his hand on my shoulder sympathetically with a sigh. I narrowed my eyes at Drake but understood everyone's curiosity. It was a rule amongst the investigators to not allow the volunteer students to see the pictures from the case. The only way they were allowed to see them was when pictures were uploaded to the website, usually hoping to identify victims or gain the communities knowledge of them. But most of those pictures on the site were fairly clean.

They didn't usually upload any of the more sexually suggestive pictures, to my disappointment. They definitely never showed any of my underaged victims in a sexual way, which included anything showing Justin's arousal. I never even considered his age when I took photos of him. I just didn't see Justin as a kid. But since he wasn't 18, he was a minor and I technically wasn't supposed to be taking sexual photos of him. Well, technically I wasn't supposed to be doing a lot of things with him. The majority of people saw Justin do really fucked up things, but most of the nasty I wanted shown was kept from the public. That was probably a main reason why most people still wanted to rescue Justin. Nobody in the public really saw how lewd Justin actually was unless they dug deep enough in gore websites and Reddit.