30. Analyzing a Killer (+ Fanart)

A/N: Check out the amazing fanart at the end of this chapter!

Nicks POV

"We can't have some student in here, this is an official FBI investigation" The dark man said, giving me a distasteful look.

"I'm not just some student, I'm the volunteer director." I scoffed but the man just ignored me.

I sat back in my chair and stared as his team gathered around to start their meeting. There were three of them, but they held themselves above the whole department. Two separate screens were being prepared to brief the station on what was known by the Federal Bureau so far. One screen was to hold information and the other screen was for the correlating images. I wasn't sure what The Bureau was doing in our small town police station but had a feeling it related to me. There was nothing else in this town that could get that kind of attention.

It was somewhat exciting that my photos had actually gotten the attention of the FBI. Took them long enough to get here, though. When did I first turn in some pictures? It had to of been at least three months. The police department I originally sent them to had taken awhile to realize Justin was connected to the Coal Creek Police Department. The station only just pieced together all the evidence I left them.

Did I expect the FBI's attention when I turned in those pictures? No. Definitely not. I had done a decent amount of research on them that suggested they'd only take a case in our small town if there were at least 20 victims. I definitely had less than twenty, but I was getting there. I assumed they must've connected some of Mr Grahams kidnappings with mine so their number was higher than my actual number.

Another reason that it had taken awhile for them to follow my case was because there was no physical evidence. There was only the pictures I had anonymously sent in. At first they had thought my pictures were fake, a simple prank, as I expected. But then they realized that Justin was the boy who had been missing from school, and some of the other victims were identified as missing from a few towns over. I was so lucky to witness to their realization that the dead bodies in the pictures were not in fact a prank.

Families were contacted and brought into the station to ID victims in the photos. I got to see first hand the devastation I had caused. It was so satisfying that the wait was worthwhile.

"He's earning a degree in forensic psychology and has been the volunteer director here at the station for two years now. This could be a great training opportunity." The chief of police tried to speak on my behalf to keep me in to see the investigation. He knew my aspirations and I basically begged him for the experience when I heard the FBI was coming.

The chief only fought to keep me in the room because of some weird connection he felt to me. We had a long awkward conversation a few weeks ago where he expressed I was just like a son to him. Even compared me to his own son. I figured he was only feeling that way since his actual son was recently booked in our jail so he couldn't help wish his son was more like me. I did not see Chief as a father figure. He was just someone I could manipulate to further my career.

I glanced towards the large sheet covering the bulletin board. I knew pictures and information from the case would be on it. The department had allowed the volunteer students to see their investigation, but when the FBI came, confidentiality became top priority. I needed to see how much the FBI knew with what information I had provided. So far the station knew next to nothing, to my delight.

"I would love to work for the FBI one day. I'm almost done with my bachelors in forensic psychology. This would be an amazing experience, even if I'm just listening. I can keep my mouth shut and let you do your thing." I said to the agent and he looked to be considering me for a few long moments.