Chapter 39 - I Promise

You hid behind a tree as you watched the carnage. Auto shop guy was limping across the street chasing after three of the college students from earlier. Blood trailed behind them, and they screamed desperately every time they looked back.

You didn't want to be rude, but it was the tiniest bit funny to watch.

You carefully put your flashlight and your umbrella away - trying desperately not to make any noise - and snuck towards the closest structure you could hide in. Of course, you had to be careful not to corner yourself, but you also couldn't stay out in the open.

The first building you found was the Ambrose House of Wax. Obviously, a part of you was rather reluctant to go anywhere near it - after all, it was a frightfully odd place, and seemed like exactly somewhere a murderer would like to be - but the other part still held onto the curiosity from hours earlier.

You held your breath for a violent attack, and opened the door.

***

Nick regretted not actually shooting the nutcase chasing them. He'd smacked him hard and good, but he was up and moving again now. Then again, Nick didn't really know how to fire the damn thing anyways, so he got a pass this time.

Urgently seeking refuge, the three teens raced towards the House of Wax, only for Wade to be grabbed and pulled away. But Nick and Carly kept running nonetheless.

Wade wasn't going to make it out of this alive, but they'd be damned if they weren't going to make it - with or without them.

***

You stumbled through the darkened building, desperately trying to find your way around without alerting anyone to your presence. There were at least three survivors. You'd seen it. [Deity], you hoped it stayed that way. You didn't want to watch these poor kids die in front of you.

Your foot caught on a stool, and you almost tripped. Carefully, you moved your foot and kept going. You would've turned on your flashlight, but you didn't want to alert anyone to your presence.

A shiver ran up your spine, and you skittered behind a shelf.

Footsteps.

Heavy footsteps. Not ones you recognized. They were slow and wary, and incredibly loud against the wax floor. You carefully slid your hand over your mouth to quiet your breathing, and crossed your fingers in hopes that lady luck would bless you with safety.

The footsteps came to a stop.

A soft grunt came from the person, and they began walking again, this time away. The door to the Wax House swung and slammed shut again, but you held still nonetheless. It could be a trick.

Your fears heightened further when the door once again swung open. You heard a startled grunt, and then shouting from a voice you wished you didn't recognize. The mechanic.

But if you didn't calm down, you could pass out again. So, the solution? Happy thoughts, I guess. You just needed to distract yourself somehow.

Only then did it occur to you how odd your meetings with those other criminals had been. Always so comedic. You'd hit Freddy with a lead pipe the first time you'd met him!

This situation seemed much more like what a normal encounter with a murderer would be like. It was terrifying.

You watched them from around the corner of the shelf as the mechanic dragged the long-haired brother out of the building, the door slamming shut behind them.

You carefully slid out of hiding and snuck up the stairs of the Wax building, and searched around for anything useful upstairs. You found nothing, but heard the doors swing open once again downstairs, causing you to freeze and dive under a wax nightstand.