Chapter 27 - Radio Madness

You had gone to bed comfortable, and now you woke up comfortable. It was lovely. But, alas, all good things had to come to an end, and soon you'd be driving out in the middle of nowhere trying to get to Louisiana. Not only did you just want to keep moving and get to Canada soon, but you had family living there.

Your grandparents lived there, and you were excited to pay them a visit. Also, it would be easier than having to pay for somewhere to sleep. You supposed, however, that you should probably call before doing any such thing. After all, you had yet to even tell them you were moving.

So, while everyone else slept, you went outside onto the street and searched for a payphone. After a short moment of looking around, you found one only a few minutes walk from the hotel. You grabbed a quarter and punched in the number, thankful you remembered it.

One ring.

Two.

Then they picked up.

"Hello? This is the L/N residence. How may I help you?" Your grandfather answered the phone. You were proud of how incredibly competent your grandparents were with everything, even in their old age. They had no memory problems, no issues understanding anything. It was convenient.

"Hey Pop-pop."

"Y/N! How are you, kiddo?"

"Good. How's Granny doing?"

"She's great. She's in the kitchen right now. Want me to go get her?"

"Oh no, don't worry about it. I was just gonna say, I'm gonna be in town soon, probably tomorrow, maybe the day after? I was wondering if I could stay with you guys."

"Oh! Well, gosh. Of course you can, kiddo! The guest room is all set up and everything, so I see no reason you couldn't!"

"Thanks, pop-pop."

"Are you bringing any friends with you? Maybe a boyfriend? Or a girlfriend, even?"

You laughed a bit, "No, no partners. But yeah, I've got a few friends with me. I'll probably tell them to stay at a hotel."

"Nonsense! We love having guests, you know. There's no reason they can't stay here."

"Well, I guess... There's seven of us, counting me."

"Alright. That should be fine, then. Are they interesting?"

"You could say that. Hey, is Angel still with you guys?"

"The dog? Yeah, we've still got her around. She's trotting around in the backyard right now."

"Awesome. And sorry that she got left with you. I'm sure Diamond would've loved to take her with him."

"Oh please, it's fine. Hey, that reminds me. Is that kid with you on this trip?"

"Sure is."

"Well good. He's a good kid."

"Yeah. He is."

"So why are you visiting?"

"I'll have to explain more when I get there. It's a long story."

"Alright then... It's nothing to do with your father, is it?"

"No. I haven't talked to him since he moved to Chicago."

"Alright. Well, I'll let your grandma know. See you soon, kiddo."

"See you soon, Pop-pop."

You hung up the phone and walked back to the hotel, enjoying the warm morning. It was refreshing, but still a little too hot. You'd felt stuff like this in California, but it was somehow different here. Because, unlike in California, something suspenseful hung in the air. Something even you would never have predicted.

***

You entered the hotel room. Everyone was still sound asleep. You figured you'd take a shower and get ready for the day before you woke everyone up. Then, you wouldn't have to fight anyone for the bathroom, and could leave the boys to their conflicts.

You grabbed your clothes and set them on the counter, then got into the shower. It was nice to take a hot shower in the mornings. Something about showering during the day was just so much nicer than showering at night. The soap that the hotel supplied smelled like cherries. It was lovely.

You felt oddly at peace. Your thoughts wandered through the past few days, contemplating. Wondering what would come next? You hoped something interesting. But perhaps you should've clarified what you meant as interesting, because the universe certainly granted your prayers. And the universe can be cruel.

The door to the bathroom swung open, punctuated by a shouting Freddy yelling about how Bill shouldn't say he needs to brush his hair until he washes all of the grease out of it. You were thankful for curtains that weren't see-through.

"GET OUT." You yelled from the shower.

Freddy and Bill both scrambled out, still shouting, and slammed the door. Obviously, it wasn't their intention to open it at all. You sighed and finished up rinsing off.

You got out and dried off, listening to the ruckus your party was once again making. They always had to be so very rowdy in the mornings. It was annoying.

You pulled on your clothes and finished getting ready, and then left the bathroom, "Anyone who needs to, meaning all of you, go take a shower. While one person is in the shower, the rest of us will start packing to go."

The boys agreed, but continued fighting with one another. It took a full five minutes of rock-paper-scissors to decide who would use the shower first. You were already packing by the time someone actually got in.

***

A full two hours passed. It was about 10 am at this point. You and your group were stopped at a small diner, happily eating breakfast. Diamond couldn't eat a lot of sugar right now, so he was eating eggs. Freddy was, ironically, having a shitton of bacon. Chucky ordered from the dinner menu. He was having spaghetti. Bill and Stu were both eating giant stacks of pancakes. Norman had french toast.

You'd fed your cats earlier, and they were crawling around your car. You'd been sure to have the roof up and shut the windows tight so they wouldn't get out. Betty was hiding in a ditch eating a cow.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying their breakfast in their own way. The radio was on in the store playing some rock n' roll. The radio host was a woman who called herself 'Stretch'. All in all, it was a perfect morning.

You were liking the music the radio host was playing. When you paid and went back to your car, you decided to flick on the radio and switched to the channel she was on. You were glad to be rested and full, and on the road again.

Of course, you couldn't go a week without oddity. And this oddity struck you at the worst of times.

Stretch let the final song fade out, before making an announcement, "Uhm, I have here a specially requested tape to be played. This was taken by a police officer, and I've been requested by said officer to play it. I uhm, well, I apologize to anyone this audio may upset"

And then the car filled with screeching. The sound of a chainsaw. You could hear the crunching of bones. The firing of guns. An evidence tape. Dear [deity]. This was disgusting. So, you switched it off.

You decided an eight-track would be quite preferable to listening to that any longer. So, you played music and your friends talked, and eventually the oddness of the day became more so.

A hitchhiker staggered along the side of the road. You would've stopped, but there was sadly no space in your car to do such a thing. You gave him an apologetic look, and continued on.

Along your path, Freddy seemed to notice something out the window. A sign. Well, really more a billboard.

"Chili cookoff, huh? Hey, we should go check that out!"

You read the sign. It was in Dallas. Only a few short miles away from Newt. You could do that. It was starting soon. And it was today. How very convenient.

Though, hindsight being 20/20, perhaps it wasn't all that convenient at all.

[Words: 1324]