Chapter 19 - Rest Stop Fears

You'd been driving for hours now. It was almost 1 am in the morning, and you'd only stopped a few times at gas stations for bathrooms and snacks - and gas, obviously - so you were about to pass out.

You'd crossed the Arizona state line about two hours back, but you hadn't had any luck with hotels at all. Currently, you were just searching for somewhere to stop at all. Everyone else in the car was sound asleep, and you had quiet music playing so as not to wake anyone up.

Your eyes were sore and itchy, your eyelids heavy and drooping. Your arms and legs were tired and pained. You gripped the steering wheel tighter, your knuckles turning almost white. And then you saw it.

Finally, salvation.

A rest stop was marked with the sign for a town, "Welcome to Prosperity, Arizona!" A few park benches were dotted around next to a building. You parked outside of it and took a deep breath.

You lifted your hands from the steering wheel and rested your hands on your thighs. A deep sigh left you, and you leaned your head forward against the dashboard. You loved driving at night, but this was a little much.

You turned off the car and took the key out of the ignition, sighing deeply, "Guys? Guys?" You turned towards the back seat and woke up your passengers. They groaned at being woken up.

"I found a rest stop. We all should use the bathroom real quick before we go back to sleep."

A tired hum of agreement floated through the vehicle, and they climbed out of the car. You stretched your arms and back. Getting up and moving was definitely the right decision.

You all walked into the building. It was well-lit and clean, thankfully. A man sat at the desk and gave you a nod as you walked in. You gave him a small nod in return and made your way to the women's room, while your friend's made their way to the men's room.

While you sat on the toilet. A loud buzzing noise came across the speakers in the building, and a voice from over the radio came on. It certainly woke you up a bit, that was for sure.

It was the ramblings of some conspiracy theorist, shouting about how alien's shouldn't be shoving probes up his ass. Though it had originally woken you up a bit, his droning now made you yearn for sleep so you wouldn't have to hear this nutcase.

You finished up in the bathroom and washed up your hands, and made your way to the main part of the building. The annoying conspiracy theorist continued his ramblings without end. Your friends weren't out of the bathroom yet.

You pulled out your wallet and slid a few cents into the vending machine. You punched in a few numbers. A bag of chips tumbled out, and you decided to chomp down while you waited on the boys.

Finally, they finished up in the bathroom one by one. When the final member of your group left the restroom, you all went back to the car to sleep. You were exhausted.

You climbed into the front seat and pulled a blanket over yourself. A yawn slipped from your lips.

"Good night, guys."

And you fell asleep.

***

An odd creaking woke you up from your... well, not comfortable rest, but just rest, really. The front seat of a car isn't exactly a prime sleeping area. The point is, a very strange creaking sound woke you up. It came from behind your car. From your storage container.

You peeled open your eyes and glanced down at your watch. 8:15 am. At least you'd slept. However, something caught your attention. You looked up at your windscreen. But there was a problem. Sunlight certainly was shining over you. But you couldn't fully see it. Something sat on top of your windscreen. Something large. And furry. With eight legs... oh dear.

"...guys," you whispered, "Guys?"

Diamond lifted his head, "Mm... Yeah Gummy Bear?"

"Shhh..." you hushed him and mouthed, "Look at the windscreen."

He looked up at the front of the car and froze.

"Holy shit."

Behind you, most everyone else opened their eyes and looked around. Finally, Freddy broke the silence with a whisper, "Is that... Is that just a big ass spider?"

"...I wish I could say no. But... yes." Diamond answered.

Your nerves shot up with the confirmation of your fears. Remember that reaction you'd had to that cockroach a few weeks back? Well, this was just so much worse.

The giant spider moved carefully off the car, and then you realized something. The top of your car. It was... covered in webbing. Spider webbing. But it seemed the spider had given up on trying to wrap it wholly in silk when it found it couldn't move the car at all.

You were frozen in fear. You clutched your blanket closer to you. Your eyes clouded with tears, and your lip quivered. But you couldn't speak. You just couldn't speak. But of course, you weren't scared of bugs. You definitely weren't scared of bugs.

You felt a hand grasp yours. A thumb rubbed over your knuckles. "It's alright. It's just a spider."

Mr. Bates- No. Norman. Norman was holding your hand, rubbing his thumb over your knuckles. He was trying to comfort you. Diamond stared at your sorry state with pity filled eyes, and made quite the bold decision.

He opened up the glove compartment and pulled out a small pocket-knife, "It's just a spider, Gummy Bear. Wait here. I'm gonna go kick its ass. Norman, climb up into the front seat and make sure she doesn't scream. Don't need a whole nest of these fuckers coming for us."

The mention of an entire nest of giant spiders only stressed you more. Diamond patted your shoulder as he climbed out of the car. "It'll be alright." And he slammed the door shut behind him again.

Norman climbed up into the front seat and sat with you. You gripped his hand tighter. You couldn't hear anything from outside. The spiderwebs blocked your vision entirely. You were trapped. Terrified. And Diamond was out there. He was outside with that horrible beast.

The group in the back of the car desperately tried to stay as quiet as possible. Save for the slight shifting, no one made a sound if they could avoid it.

Norman pulled you into his chest. Your eyes dripped with tears. Tears that soaked into his sweater. He hadn't realized until he actually felt you shaking that you were sobbing.

He wrapped his arms around you and rubbed your back, "I-It's alright. H-e'll be f-fine. Just give hi-m time."

He knew it wasn't the time to be thinking of such things, mainly because of his mother's voice scolding him once again from the back of his mind, but he felt proud of himself for being able to help you. His mother always said that any girl who spoke to him was trying to take advantage of him. That wasn't what you were doing, and he knew it. He doubted that you even could do such a thing.

You nodded, huddling closer to Norman, trying to find comfort in his heartbeat. An odd chittering sound came from in front of your car, and made its way over and behind your car. It was paired with a heavy and fast creaking. A spider.

Finally, you heard something. A grunt. You knew that sound. Oh [deity], you knew that sound. You felt sick. Your stomach twisted and knotted with horror.

You whimpered out a single name, before slipping into unconsciousness.

"Diamond?"

(A/N - sorry for the short chapter, the next one will be longer.)

[Words: 1286]