Chapter 30 - Confirmation

You awoke once again in the backseat of your car, the remnants of your heavy fever flowing away now. Freddy handed you an Advil for your head, and Norman blotted off your forehead. It was dark outside now. Diamond had pulled over on the side of the road.

You slowly sat up, still holding Chucky in your arms, squeezing the life out of the poor doll without thinking. Bill handed you a water bottle. You took it and spoke a soft thank you.

You honestly felt bad about the whole ordeal. It certainly hadn't been your plan to get hit with a horrendous fever. But it seemed it wouldn't be too much of an inconvenience. After all, you were doing much better already.

Chucky struggled against the vice grip you held him in, desperately trying to crawl away. While he was used to kids hugging him due to the nature of his current form, and the convenience of the disguise, a full grown adult was a different story. He was being crushed.

You felt yourself wake up a bit more, and loosened your grip around the doll, resulting in him gasping for air. At last, freedom. He'd been fighting to get loose from you for hours since you'd fallen asleep.

You rubbed your head a bit, "I think I need to step outside for a sec. Get some fresh air."

"Hey, don't complain about air to me, toots! I could barely breathe with you strangling me like that for so long!" Chucky argued.

You laughed a bit, "Yeah, yeah. But you didn't have a horrendous stress-induced fever, did you?"

Chucky was about to respond, but seemed to be thrown into contemplation.

"...Can I even get sick? I mean, dolls don't get sick, right? So how could I? But I'm also human? How does that work?" He was muttering a deep internal debate to himself. You laughed again.

"Anyways, I'm gonna step out of the car for a sec and breathe the night air. You guys probably should too, if I'm honest. You should stretch your legs."

Everyone agreed with your assessment. It had been hours since any of them had gotten to move around, so they were getting pretty antsy.

You all got out of the car and stretched. Your headache seemed to melt away as the warm night air surrounded you. You felt warm and fuzzy. It was nice.

Well, it was nice up until a bunch of assholes came driving by shouting and shooting bullets. Betty freaked out and crawled under your car, and you dove for the ground and hid under the car with her. The others ducked behind the storage unit, trying to see what was going on.

When you saw their headlights pass and their music and shouting faded, you climbed out from under the vehicle. Betty followed, crawling back up the side of the storage unit and onto the top where her web was woven.

You shuddered a bit, sighing, "Jesus christ! I must be a fucking magnet for weird shit. Damn!" You almost would've laughed, if you hadn't felt Norman jump into your arms about to sob.

"Not a fan of the pew-pew sticks, huh?"

Norman shook his head. It was a little weird to consider. He was always put together, but it seemed that you'd figured out his kryptonite. You patted his back a bit.

"Don't worry, they're gone." You turned to your other friends and sighed, "Alright, let's get back in the car and go. We've got to get on the road if we wanna get to Louisiana any time soon. And hopefully, there won't be any more adventures to interrupt us."

The gang agreed, and got into the car. You were still amazed that all of you managed to fit in the vehicle. Though, it did help that one of your guests was a doll.