Chapter 17 - Not The Most Comfortable

When you woke up, you obviously were beyond uncomfortable. The small space was rough on your back. You groaned and climbed up from your resting place in the backseat of your car. Your cats were crawling around in your carrier and meowing at you.

You glanced at your watch. It was 8:30. Crap. You needed to get on the road soon so you'd get enough driving done that day. You were hoping for a chance to say goodbye to Dewey.

So, you climbed out of the car and stretched, a yawn escaping your lips. The sun was out, and the ground was damp from the rain of last night. All in all, it was a perfect, cool, comfortable morning. You admired the atmosphere before making your way inside the motel room.

Everyone was casually getting ready to go, while Mr.Bates sat on the bed, extremely confused. They boys had told him to ask you what happened when you woke up.

"Morning guys."

"Mornin', Sugartits." Chucky replied.

You rolled your eyes and nudged his head, "Watch it, shrimp."

Freddy put his hat on his head and nodded to you, "How goes it, Dollface?"

"It goes, Freddy. It goes. Slept the worst I have in a while though. Don't recommend sleeping in the backseat of a car if you can avoid it."

Freddy nodded.

"Good morning, Ms. L/N." Bill called from the shower.

You laughed, "Morning, Bill."

You sat down on the couch next to Diamond, who was struggling with a rock in his shoe. "Morning, Diamond."

He smiled briefly, then went back to struggling with his shoe, "Good morning, Gummy Bear." he sighed in frustration, "Can you help me out here?"

You laughed and nodded, taking the show from him and shaking the rock loose, "There you go, bud."

Diamond nodded in gratitude. You stood and made your way towards the bed where Mr.Bates was seated. He was chatting with Stu, who was asking him about the dress he was wearing.

You sat down next to Mr.Bates, which caught his attention quite immediately. He looked at you nervously, unsure what to say.

"Good morning, Mr. Bates. How's your head feeling?"

He flushed slightly, "It's all r-right. It i-s a bit s-sore though."

"Well, I'm glad to hear that."

"Ms. L-L/N. What am I d-doing here? Did so-mething happen?"

You sighed and placed a hand on his shoulder, "Yes. I believe you may have had a lapse of mania last night? I'm not entirely sure, but last night, you came into the room wearing a blonde wig and that floral dress you're wearing now, and you were holding a knife with what seemed to be violent intent. I was afraid, and I knocked you unconscious. My intention was not to harm you, but to protect myself. I'm very sorry."

Mr.Bates's eyes were wide, and he stared at you with fear swirling behind those eyes. He looked suddenly nervous. He knew now it would be useless to lie to you. He wasn't a very good liar anyway. And you would know. He should tell the truth.

But his mother said not to. His mother insisted she shouldn't. She was so sure. But he wasn't. So he told you.

"My mother made me do it. My mother made me... I'm so sorry. My mother made me do it."

Your face twisted in surprise.

"Your mother? Can you tell me why your mother wanted you to hurt someone?"