Chapter 2 - Clear Heads

Your apartment was a nice one. The front door opened into a hallway, and to your left was the kitchen. Past the island in the kitchen was the living room, which the outer wall of was large paneled windows. To the left was your bedroom, which also had a wall of paneled windows. Connected to your bedroom was a large bathroom, and connected to that was your closet.

To the right of the front door was the laundry room and a coat closet, and past that was a second extra bedroom, of which you used for art. Across from said secondary bedroom was another bathroom, used for guests.

Diamond had seen the apartment a million and one times. He had been coming here since he was 19, when you moved out of your parents house. He knew everything about that house. He knew where you kept the cups and plates, and how you liked the table set, and what scents you sprayed the house with.

Most of all, he knew that you didn't know that he knew everything he did about you. You were clueless, and as much as it hurt him, he adored it. You were so smart, and yet so very unaware. As he sat now on the couch, he was thinking of all that he knew about you.

You had always wanted to see the world, but life had always gotten in the way. Diamond was beyond happy to see that you were finally achieving your goal, but he felt slightly nervous. He knew you had invited him to go with you, but what if his parents flipped? He knew they worried so much.

"...diamond? Diamond? CHRIS!" The calling of his real name broke Diamondout of his stupor, and he spun around, suddenly terrified to hear you say it.

"Oh god, what did I do? You don't call me Chris unless you're angry." The poor boy looked horrified.

"I couldn't get your attention. That's all. Come on, silly. Food's ready." You responded with a laugh.

Diamond nodded and jumped over the couch. That prosthetic leg seemed to have served him quite well indeed. He sat down at the table and grinned, "Guess we're both awake now, huh?"

You smirked, "Breakfast is served."

You set down the heart shaped plates in front of him, and his eyes sparkled. He wasn't lying when he said he would eat anything you fed him. The pancakes, just like the plates, were shaped like hearts. The pancakes were topped with [topping of your choice].

"Looks perfect, Gummy Bear! Honestly, you have got to be just the best chef ever." He laughed and began to eat.

The meal was almost entirely quiet, until at last you broke the silence with a cryptic statement.

"I'm sending in my resignation. I'm quitting my job. Tomorrow."

Diamond nodded. He'd expected you'd say that. You were always so hard to dissuade from your goals.

"I'm going to start packing once I've talked to my boss. I'm going to sink the money into a storage truck to hitch to the back of my car to carry all of my stuff and the cats."

You stood and placed your dishes in the sink, then sat back down, studying Diamond's face. He was sitting contemplative at the table, lost in thought.

"So?"

Diamond moved his eyes to meet yours, then smiled. He laughed slightly and stood up, stretching his arms, "Yeah, that's gonna be a lot of work though. So, and I don't want any arguments, I'm going to buy that storage truck for you."

You immediately went to argue, but a hand was clapped over your mouth before you could.

"No arguments. No ifs, ands, or buts. Got it?"

You nodded, awkwardly. You had always hated letting anyone spend money on you. After all, who likes owing people anything? Diamond removes his hand and grins his usual lovable smile.

He grabs your hand and pulls you over to the couch, then sits you down on it, "Moving away and all aside, we have all these fun movies, and we're both wide awake at this point. It's four in the morning, and I want to eat popcorn and cuddle. So you have a seat, pick a movie, and I'll get the snacks, got it?"

You grinned and nodded, then stood and scanned over the vhs tape shelf. Your eyes searched carefully through the alphabetized films, and smiled when you finally spotted the movie you'd been looking for. You reached for the tape and grinned at the cover.

You knew all too well that Diamond, as much as he enjoyed watching horror movies with you, was terrified of them. Of course, that was just good motivation to pick scarier ones, for the simple purpose of seeing a giant hulking man cower into the corner of your couch sobbing because of an obviously badly done jumpscare.

Diamond sat down on the couch with a bowl of popcorn, several bags of candy, and several cans of [favorite soda]. You grinned evilly, and slid the vhs into the player, and started the movie. Casually smiling, as if you hadn't just slid Diamond's ultimate nightmare into the player, you skipped over to the couch and sat down next to him.

"So, what're we watching?" Diamond asked, already seeming nervous.

"Oh, you'll see." You said, with a cruel giggle.

Diamond nodded with a slight shudder, and slung his arm over your shoulder, popping popcorn into his mouth. It took him a quick second before realizing what was on the television, and when he did, his grip on you tightened significantly.

"Really, Gummy Bear? Dracula? You know vampires scare the shit out of me!" He complained, trying to sound like he wasn't about to freak out.

If there was one thing that endlessly scared Diamond, it was vampires. He didn't know why. He couldn't have given a reason. Vampires were supposed to be everyone's fantasy. Dangerous, sexy, and rich? But Diamond had never seen the appeal. Sure, he knew well enough that you were probably just trying to scare him, but still. This was just mean.

"Oh come on, Diamond. If you just watch it, I'm sure you'll start to get over your fears. Besides, you have me! So chill out, huh?"

***

Watching Dracula was enough of a scare to Diamond to make him cower in the corner of the couch under a blanket, but you were quick to remind him that you both needed to start packing so you could leave.

"I need to go deliver my resignation and clear out my cubicle. {Deity], I'm so glad to not work there anymore. I hate that damn stupid toy company. Will you be good to clean things up here, or do you wanna come with me?" You asked, knowing that leaving him there would just be mean in his horrified state.

"Yeah, I think I'm gonna come with you. You should probably get yourself dressed and out of those pajamas, huh?" He smiled and shoved the last of the popcorn into his mouth.

You laughed, "Well I didn't mean right now. I mean, come on. It's 5:30 am on a Saturday morning. I'll go drop it off later in the afternoon. Right now, I need some rest, and you should get some too, okay?"

Diamond nodded, and rested his head on a throw pillow on the couch, and you retreated to your room.

As you laid your head down onto your pillow, you felt the exhaustion automatically wash over you. Your eyes shut near immediately, and within seconds, you were sound asleep. Your peaceful face betrayed the actions acted out in your head.

[Words: 1277]

(A/N : I know we haven't seen any spooks yet, but we will next chapter, I promise. In fact, you're about to get quite acquainted with a new friend..? Enemy? Or perhaps... more?)