Chapter 41 - What is Mercy but Suffering for Whoever Shows It?

The floorboards creaked, and the paint peeled slightly on the outside of the house, but the inside was well kept and fresh. It was quite obviously lived in. In fact, it may have been the only building in the whole of the town that was.

Various odd objects decorated the walls and furniture of the house. A few wet specimens, some odd newspaper clippings, and so on. But it was nothing very impressive as far as murderer hideouts. You'd seen better.

Bo had dragged you along into the house and sat you down on a sofa while he disappeared out of sight. Supposedly there was someone he needed to talk to. You assumed he meant his brothers.

In the meantime, you tried to process what you'd done. Maybe there would be a way to justify it. But that didn't mean it was okay. You'd done something horrid. It was horrific to you - that, in that moment, the only way to save an innocent life was to take it.

...But leaving him alive. That would have been a worse fate, right? He would have shriveled up and died encased in a wax tomb. The horrid fate that could have befell him... you saved him from it, didn't you?

Mercy. Was it worth it? Was the weight on your own conscience worth sparing a single life from suffering? Would you not have been a killer - a more cruel one, at that - nonetheless, to leave him there to die in his casing?

Yes, surely you'd done the right thing, but... You didn't want the chance for it to happen again. If you were dead, you'd never have to mercy kill anyone again, would you? But then, who would? If another man were encased in wax, would anyone else have had the sense to bring him to his fate quickly?

The people you had met on this adventure had been a streak of bad luck. That's what you had thought. But you were starting to wonder - would this ever end? Why was it always you? Why were you always the one to run into them?

First Freddy, then Chucky, then your old friends Bill and Stu... why you? And then Norman and his 'mother'. And when you leave California? Spiders. Spiders the size of cars. And then cannibals. It was ridiculous!

And worse yet, you'd become so used to them that you often forgot that they were cold-blooded serial killers. You preferred to avoid that train of thought, but now...

Freddy. Freddy Kreuger. The Dream Killer. A demon. He was here with you entirely by accident. He was a pervert. An asshole. And yet... here you were. Friends - sort of.

And Chucky? A killer doll? How stupid was that? You worked for the company that made him, but... Maybe if you hadn't quit your job and tried to run away to Canada. Maybe you were cursed for trying to leave.

It was stupid. All of it. Your bad luck, your odd friendships, your situation now... all of it was stupid. You killed a man, for fuck's sake! How was it fair that you had to kill someone?

Was this what fate wanted? For you to be like them? To hurt people? To be a killer? Or perhaps the universe just liked to see you squirm. To watch you writhe in pain while the people around you sat idly by - not noticing your suffering.

But you didn't deserve to think that - or at least, you thought you didn't. You didn't deserve self pity at a time like this. You didn't deserve pity at all. Not from yourself, nor anyone else.

Interrupting the horrid thoughts was a voice. Bo. He had returned.

"Hey! You listenin'?"

[words:619 - sorry it's so short, but i'm trying to get back into the groove of things, so chapters aren't gonna be very long for now.]