Chapter 8 - Hello, Dolly

The car ride to your office had been, thankfully, rather uneventful. Save for the rude banter between Freddy and Diamond, it was peaceful. If you were honest, you were impressed the two of them weren't trying to rip the other's throats out.

You parked your car in the parking garage by your office building, and turned off the engine. You turned around towards your friends with a smile, "Hey guys, mind if I interrupt your verbal qualms with my personal endeavors?"

Diamond chuckled and nodded, a sweet smile spreading across his face. Freddy rolled his eyes, his classic rude smirk plastered on his burnt face. You smiled politely and nodded, "Lovely. I should only be a few short minutes. I want the two of you to stay here, alright? You can open the windows if you need fresh air, but don't bring the top down, okay? I don't need you to get spotted and then get my ass in trouble."

Freddy raised an eyebrow, "Oh yeah? And what if I want to get you in trouble?" he winked.

You rolled your eyes and smacked his shoulder, "You're totally gross." you said with a giggle. "Alright, I'll see you guys in a bit. This should be pretty fast. I hope... See ya!"

Without another word, you jumped out of the car and slammed the door shut, locking it before walking away. You placed the keys in your purse and carried your briefcase with you up to the office.

You'd always hated walking through parking garages. It wasn't so bad during the day, but you still didn't like it. They weren't very safe, and they were so unbelievably grimy. However, today, you felt extra uncomfortable about being in there.

Something about this place was extra off today, and you felt the hairs on the back of your neck stand up as you got farther from your car. Something wasn't right. You glanced behind you back at your vehicle, and saw nothing out of the ordinary. Only the two boys tossing banter back and forth.

Despite seeing nothing out of the ordinary, something just didn't feel right. That feeling was only accentuated when you got onto the elevator bringing you up to your office building's entrance. The moment you stepped on, you felt utterly horrified.

That feeling was somewhat dampened when you finally got off of the elevator, seeing the office full of cubicles in which people were working. There was less staff here than usual because it was the weekend, but there were still a few people that had to be there for other reasons.

One of those people was your boss. The CEO of Play Pals, who had flown in from Illinois, where the company was based, purely for this meeting. You honestly didn't understand why he would hire a secretary in a different state, but you really hadn't minded. Maybe he just needed someone to handle papers in other offices? Oh well. It didn't matter now. Soon enough, you wouldn't be his secretary.

A few coworkers of yours waved or said polite hellos, and you responded in kind. You made your way past the cubicles to your office, and went inside. You were scheduled to meet with your boss in about five minutes, so you took the time to organize your resignation papers.

As you finished straightening out a stack of papers, your boss entered the room. He looked oddly relieved as he shut the door behind him, as if something had been chasing him. You smiled politely, hoping your confusion wasn't obvious.

He took a seat and nodded politely, "So, what is it we're discussing? You mentioned over the phone that it was very important we discussed it in person. You're lucky I had other business to handle here, you know.

"Ah, yes." You started, "Well, put simply, I'm handing in my resignation." You pulled out the necessary papers and handed them to him, "I have several papers here in my briefcase that are full of very sensitive information involving the company, and as such, I felt it only appropriate that I gave them to you directly until you find a new secretary."