Chapter 25 - Way Better Than Hospital Food

You awoke to the sun shining in your eyes. You were still laying on the hood of your car. The boys were loading up the car, chatting quietly, clearly trying to let you sleep.

You sat up and rubbed your eyes. Freddy gave you a smirk and sat down next to you, "We figured we'd let you sleep."

"Thanks. I needed it." You smiled back at him.

A hint of pink dusted his burnt cheeks, "Heh, no problem, Dollface."

You stretched a bit and yawned, "Well, I guess I'll go inside and make breakfast real quick, then we can head on our way to get Diamond. And after that, it's back on the road."

He patted your back with a grin, "Well, you know we love your cooking."

You nodded and hopped off the hood of the car. When you turned around to look at everyone, you saw Betty had taken up residence atop your storage container. She was currently sucking the insides out of an... ostrich? What the fuck? Oh well, if it tasted good, then good for her.

Bill and Stu gave you a small nod as they finished packing up. Norman was busy gathering up dirty clothes into a bag and putting it in the trunk of the car. Chucky was largely unhelpful, but you couldn't entirely blame him for that.

You went inside the trailer and got out the ingredients you'd bought the other day. Apparently someone in your group had been kind enough to bring them inside and put them in the small mini fridge the trailer had.

While you were hard at work on breakfast, The boys shuffled inside, sighing. Apparently the heat was starting to get to them. Not that you could judge them. Arizona was insanely hot. All dry heat, admittedly, but still horrendously hot.

Chucky raised an eyebrow at you, "Whatcha makin' there?"

"Pancakes. They're Diamond's favorite. I figured I could make some to bring to him at the hospital. Also, I can't think of a better breakfast to help everyone relax than this."

The doll nodded, "Geez, you sound all sentimental."

Annoyed, you patted the doll's head, ruffling his hair, and laughed, "Well, my friends always make me feel sentimental. Maybe one day you'll find someone who makes you feel sentimental too."

He scoffed and turned away, smoothing his hair out. His face had gone quite red.

With a soft smile, you continued cooking. You poured the batter into the pan, shaping each pancake like a heart, just as you always did. You finished cooking them, and topped them with powdered sugar, whipped cream, and a strawberry each. Just as you always had. You set aside a few without toppings - save for strawberries - to bring to Diamond, and put them in a small tupperware. You thought it best not to load him with sugar.

"Alright, everyone. Breakfast is served!"

You placed a plate in front of each of them, and then took your own seat on the bed. Norman looked slightly surprised to see what you'd made. Not a bad surprised, just surprised.

"I can't say I expected you to make heart-shaped pancakes." Norman commented. He sounded curious as to why you had.

"I always have. I love anything heart-shaped."

Stu grinned, "Yeah, you should've seen her bedroom as a kid. It was so cute."

You gave him a hard glare, "You know, having you boys over to my house, rare as it was, was less than fun. I didn't want to babysit in my free time, you know."

Bill nodded, "But you still did."

"Indeed. Because I was broke."

Freddy laughed, "See, you say you don't want to babysit, but I mean, we're all here right now."

"Yeah. That's not babysitting. That's a road trip. And by the way, when we get where we're going, You guys better understand that I make the rules, got it? I'm the one paying the bills."

Bill groaned, "Geez, you sound like my dad."

"I most certainly don't. I'm not setting a curfew or anything. It's just basic stuff like 'no parties without checking with everyone else'. You know, stuff like that."

Chucky groaned this time, "Sounds boring."

Everyone had finished their food by now, so you took their plates and let them chat. You cleaned up the dishes in the sink, then went out to the car and put them away where they went. You put the tupperware with Diamond's food in the front seat so you wouldn't forget it.

"Boys, time to go." You called as you hopped into the driver's seat. The group clambered into the car, back to their usual shouting antics. Norman once again took the front seat, aware that his seat was temporary.

You locked the car and put in some music. You then pulled out of the lot and got on your way. Betty safely sat on top of your Storage container, disposing of the last of the ostrich's corpse.

It was a sight to behold.

***

The drive over to the hospital luckily wasn't too long, so you were inside and up to his room impressively quickly. You were glad to see your friend doing well. It seemed the injuries weren't as bad as they looked at all.

He had so quickly gained back the weight he'd lost, so he was basically back in working order by the time you got there. You greeted him with a tight hug, grinning ear to ear to have your best friend truly back with you.

"Hey, Gummy Bear! Watch it! I'm still injured, you know." He laughed.

You pulled away and looked him up and down. He seemed to be perfectly fine, so that was good. He smiled that same sweet smile he always gave you, and you returned it.

You reached into your purse with a grin, "For you. Figured you could use it."

He took the tupperware from you and grinned, his eyes instantly lighting up. You handed him a fork, and he grabbed it from your hand. Without another word, he opened the tupperware and wolfed down the pancakes and strawberries.

Once he'd finished eating, he met eyes with you again and smiled once more. Without a hint of warning, he leaned over and kissed you on the cheek, "That was way better than hospital food. Thank you Gummy bear. That was perfect."

You flushed red and nodded, "Yeah... Well! Let's get you checked out, shall we?" you desperately tried to change the subject. The boys who had joined you in the room looked like they were about to kill him.

With that in mind, you made your way to the desk and checked him out. He wrote down his information for the bill, and the seven of you left, happier than you'd felt in a long while.

It was time to get on the road. You were headed towards Texas now. What new adventures awaited you, you wondered. A good many, I promise you. This is only the beginning.

[Words: 1164]