Chapter 40 - Lucky Shot

You heaved a sigh as you stepped outside the building into the warm night air. Louisiana in summer was nice, wasn't it? You were tired now - far more tired than before. You wanted to curl up and rest. That wasn't an option. You had to help those people.

You listened carefully for any signs of human life. The only signs you found came from the odd light coming from a house on the edge of town. You would start there then.

Your footsteps were heavy along the concrete. They would probably catch the attention of anyone nearby. Good. It would be easier that way. You could draw out the danger. Give those kids an out.

And in a way, it worked. A man with a badly bandaged arm came from the shadows.

The mechanic.

"What's a girl like you doing wandering around alone in a place like this?"

"...You're injured."

"Huh?" He raised a confused eyebrow, then paused, as if he'd somehow forgotten about his damaged arm.

"A stab wound, maybe? No, not quite. Well, in a way, but not quite. You were shot with a crossbow, weren't you?"

You'd seen the arrow sticking out of his arm earlier, but at the time it hadn't seemed very important. It was most likely the work of the people you were trying to save.

He eyed you suspiciously, with a sprinkling of surprise mixed in for good measure, "How'd you know that?"

"I saw it. When you were chasing them."

"Ah. Well, hate to break it to you...." he lifted something up from behind his back. A gun. "But I gotta kill ya."

"Go ahead."

***

What? Who did she think she was? Was this a trick? No, she seemed far too sincere for that. A challenge then? That seemed more likely.

But still not right.

He let out a deep breath before pulling the trigger.

...

Nothing.

***

What kind of idiot would you be to simply let him kill you? Who would that save? Really, how silly of you. A single step out of the way was the best way to avoid it. But you had something else in mind. Surely you wouldn't need that purse too much, right? Thank god for your metal makeup containers being conveniently laid out against the outermost wall of your bag. The makeup would be damaged, but you were less likely to be harmed.

Worth it. A shame though, that was a nice tube of lipstick. Lovely shade, really. Oh well, I'll use my author powers to grant you a new one! [weird magickey noises] And there you have it. Replenished lipstick in whatever shade you may have been imagining for that tube. Hope you like it!

Now, back to the fact that you've been shot at.

Your foolish attacker had failed to check the ammunition on this specific weapon - convenient considering you were relying on some makeup tins to protect your entire livelihood. Ah well, he only had two damned shots anyway. And somehow, your tins of makeup protected you quite well from the painful death that would've been had it not been for your ingenuity.

Frustrated, the mechanic grabbed you by the arm and dragged you along behind him. You followed obediently. If he was busy with you he wasn't killing anyone else, yes?

Ah, but where could he be taking you, I wonder?

[Words: 560]