CHAPTER 44

Soccoro Ricks

I don't know how long I slept, but I suddenly woke up to someone touching my senses. I slowly opened my eyes and saw Exur staring intently at me. There was something bothering him, as seen in his eyes, but before I could ask, it suddenly disappeared and the coldness in his eyes returned, as if the emotion I thought I saw was just a figment of my imagination. It's so easy for him to switch emotions to the point where you'd doubt which one is the true emotion he's showing.
Exur sighed and rubbed his forehead, looking visibly frustrated.

I sat up in bed and rubbed my eyes, trying to shake off the grogginess from my sleep. " Exur, is everything okay? ", I asked, still a bit disoriented.

Exur looked away, his eyes flickering with some unspoken emotion. " Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry for waking you up. ", He replied, his voice flat.

I knew something was bothering him, but I also knew better than to push him when he's not ready to talk. " It's alright. Do you want to talk about it? ", I offered gently, hoping that he would open up to me.

He sighed and sat back down on the bed, his shoulders slumping. " You always asked me why you. To be honest, baby, I don't know either. And right now, I won't ask for your forgiveness for what I'm about to do. It's okay to be mad as long as I'm with you."

If you were to ask me what my reaction would be, to be honest, I don't have one. If I appeal, what difference would it make? We always go around in circles.

" Whatever your decision is, I hope you won't hurt me anymore because to be honest, I'm trying to understand this gaslighting the whole situation  Exur. I'm already running out. ", I continued.

Exur's expression softened, and he reached out to take my hand. " I'm sorry", He said. " I didn't realize that my behavior was causing you so much pain. I promise to be honest with you from now on, and to never manipulate or deceive you again."

I looked at him skeptically, still feeling the effects of the gaslighting. " How can I trust you? ", I asked.

" Let's go downstairs, Tacky and Savy has arrived together with Mang Jo and Gavin. I'm sure you'll be happy. The engagement may have stressed you out, so I'll make it up by taking care of them while they're here. "

My eyes lit up upon hearing the news. " Really? They're here? That's great news! Thank you, Exur, I appreciate it. ", I said with a smile, although a bit disappointed as he's clearly avoiding my question.

Even I don't have plan to trust him, I just try it to asked to know what would be his answer unfortunately I got none.

Exur smiled back at her and took her hand. " I knew it would make you happy. Come on, let's go greet them. "

We walked down the stairs, and as we reached the living room Mang Jo, and Gavin stood up to greet us. While Tacky and the girl beside him seems to be in different dimension cause I can sense that there's a tension between.

" Hello Mang Jo, it's great to see you again! I really missed you and Gavin so much. "

Before approaching them, I first sought the permission of Exur, as I wanted to give them a warm embrace, knowing that they have become my family here in the Philippines since I have yet to meet my Aunt who resides here. While before, I may have been hesitant to have any interaction with her, now I am actually planning and hoping to meet her so that I can seek her help in leaving this place, and I can only do that with the aid of Gavin. I will find the perfect opportunity at the party to talk to her. "

Good thing Exur nodded so I waste no time as I approached Mang Jo and Gavin, I couldn't help but feel a wave of relief and comfort wash over me. They were like my safe haven in this unfamiliar place. I gave them both a tight hug, feeling grateful for their presence.