Chapter 12: Upside Down (Part 4)

The sun had begun to set and as another day began to close, the Adventurer's guild began to tidy up. "What do you mean you have no more blankets?" a women screamed. Her thin body showed how frail she was, and more so the clothes that wrapped her body were frayed and worn.

"I'm sorry, we gave out our last set of furs today," the new employee to the adventurer's guild replied softly. The young women had been working since the start of winter, but under the pressure of the older lady she flinched.

"Can't you get anymore? My children will freeze to death at this rate!" the grieving women could be heard all across the guild. No one however could help her, as many simply looked down with bitter expressions.

Lana who was at the counter quickly stepped in, "Excuse me, is there a problem."

"Please," the women gripped onto Lana's dress, "I'm not asked for much, just something to keep my children warm. The roofing on our house collapsed. We can't afford to fix it so please-."

"Have you tried the Church?" Lana looked to the inventory behind them, while there was still food, other goods had been given out already.

"Of course I have," the women grit her teeth. "Paladin Johannes already gave away everything they had. It's not just me. There are other houses in our area that are near breaking point. We shovel the snow day after day but it keeps coming back."

It was clear Lana wanted to help, but what could she do? The last winter hadn't been as bad, but back then the guild had basically been empty. Now more people sought for help, their load was too much.

Lana made her mind and called to the entire room, "Emergency request. We need strong and able souls to clear the snow and repair the broken housing in the area. The Guild will pay with food like usual, or if you'd rather we have money."

At her call several men and women stood up, "We'll go."

"Chloe help me with the papers," Lana immediately went to the counter where Chloe had been watching. The two immediately got to work.

Mask sat at a corner table, he watched everything unfold but did not say a word. Master Lanton sat beside him.

"How long do you think we'll last?" the Guild Master asked. "Today this women needs help, tomorrow ten more will show up. I refuse to send adventurer's out in that blizzard. They're still fresh, though they've lived here all their lives, the creatures that come out are far worse than the wolves they've faced so far."

Mask tapped his finger on the table, "Three days before you'll have to make a tough choice. After that, no matter how hard you try, someone will lose."

"Tch," the Guild Master clicked his tongue. "I preferred it when I was drunk and didn't give a damn."

"Don't say what you don't mean."

"Sorry, you're right. But what can we do about it? Winter here lasts a long while. This damn blizzard however, pray to the One it ends soon. Hopefully we can adventure to get more supplies."

"Like I said, three days," Mask repeated. "A blizzard like this isn't uncommon, but to last a week now is rare."

"You think it isn't normal?" the Guild Master scoffed. "If we were dealing with someone powerful enough to change the weather in the entire region even for an hour we'd be beat."

"You're right, but we're just dealing with the middle man. 'When Hormunjur roars....'"

"'The winter winds blast'." Master Lanton finished. "The Ice Leviathan that nestles in the northern artic peaks. It's the reason the area is so cold... do you really believe someone would be insane enough to poke that beast just to make a blizzard?"

"They would only need to annoy it. I've done something similar to make it rain elsewhere. Bottom line is, someone wants to keep the status quo."

The Guild Master frowned and rightly so, "Why?"

"That's what I'm going to find out tonight. When I first got this job, it was supposed to be the classic tale of a City Lord driven by greed. Relatively easy job. Since our dear Paladin arrived however, things have become more complicated."

Lanton laughed, "An easy job? You lot in the Problem Solver's Guild handle the craziest things."

"True," Mask admitted. "Even I'm not sure how far the organisation spreads." He looked up to the Guild entrance where a red headed man walked in. "Looks like I have a guest."

At first Ron lingered near the counter as if unsure whether to stay or nor. After seeing Mask wave, the man tensed and approached them.

He bowed his head to Lanton first, "Greetings Master Lanton. Do you mind if I have a word with Mr Kane?"

"Of course," the Guild Master stood up. He looked to where Lana and Chloe were organising the emergency request. "It looks like I'll be needed anyway." As he left, Ron sat down.

"Is something wrong Ron?" Mask asked.

"Aside from letting my best friend die... yes," the Guard Captain grimaced. "Corvis, do you think we succeeded? We got the Paladin's attention and he's helping the city. I've seen the paper work holding the City Lord accountable..., but, why is everything just getting worse? My best friend died. Mr Tilbury was assassinated.... People are starting to freeze from the constant blizzard. Was everything we did for nothing?"

Mask shrugged, "Maybe it was, but if you truly had done nothing and things were the same, could you forgive yourself then?"

Ron grit his teeth, "But I want more than this. I know for a fact the Upper district has enough to reverse this." His eyes became firm, "Even the slackers in the guard are on my side now. The port workers as well."

"You want to start a full blown rebellion?"

"The moment we need to I will."

"And when's that?"

"When an innocent dies."

Mask couldn't help but show a cold smirk, "Stop before you kill yourself."

"What?" Ron's building anger suddenly directed at him.

"You'll play right into their hands," Mask answered his anger with an icy realism. "If you want change, do as I tell you and wait. Tomorrow will be a new day."

"What are you talking about?"

"Let me ask you this, how far are you willing to go? Would you betray the people you love? Would you kill someone in the dark without them even knowing? You speak of rebellion but what is it that you need to really do?"

"I... I don't know," he grit his teeth. "If I knew how to break out of this, I would. If I could do it myself, I would. But I don't know how to do that. If we worked together, it could be different." He looked into Mask's eyes, "I'd kill a man if I needed to, but I would never betray those I love."

"Good answer," Mask smiled and slid him a small card. "I only involve those that need to be. People of the city like you Ron, you're a strong voice. There's a reason you didn't make it to Tarken's punishment. If it's you, you could calm them, anger them and even lead them."

Ron's eyes grew wide, "This symbol... I've seen this before. You're a Problem Solver. But why does all it say is wait?"

"Because that's exactly what you need to do for now." Mask stood up, "I trust you Ron. Even if you don't want to be involved, stay quiet. If you tattle anything... you'll be involved but not on my side. Now go home. You're family are cold and need you."

"R-right," Ron however waited at the table, clutching the card in his palm. It wasn't till Mask disappeared that he finally left the guild.