Chapter 11: My way (Part 3)

Outside Mask leaned against the wall of an alley. He was nowhere in sight of the building but had heard everything. He sighed. Johannes had only been partially right about the poison. Truthfully from the moment Mr Tilbury and Mask had met, his life was already in Mask's hands. At that point the poison he had snuck into the Tilbury office could be activated at any time. Though they didn't know it, the other members including Tarken who had already passed away were in the same predicament. It was moments like this that Mask could only scoff at having Bearer of a Kind Heart as a Title. What he did was not kind.

Mask had hoped however that he wouldn't have to enact the plan, thus his tired sigh. Mr Tilbury was smart, and most likely would have only sold out Ron to the Paladin, using his knowledge as a bargaining chip with Lady Berca and Mr Argus. His mistake was being too trusting with a man known as a Paladin. To that end Mask had finally seen it himself, just how cruel Johannes was and what measures he'd go through. Though he trusted Chloe, he couldn't lie and say a part of him wasn't completely in belief. Now however, there truly was no need to hold back.

Acting as a simple curious passer-by, Mask joined in with the crowd that began to build from the commotion outside the Tilbury Headquarters. Rumours quickly began to escape from the building about the prominent merchant's death and shock at the fact the Paladin had been so close by. They jittered nervously as the Paladin they had believed to be so powerful suddenly had a chink in his good name.

The guards and Church knights scattered across the vicinity to look for the perpetrator however it was near impossible to find him. For one they immediately assumed he would be as far away as possible from the scene. None of their eyes fell to Mask and eventually the crowd dispersed as the rumours became truth. Mask did not return to the Adventurer's Guild but instead hid his presence, waiting for the Paladin to make a move.

As he expected Paladin Johannes couldn't sit still and despite his masterful acting, could not hide all his discontent. Together with his knights they entered the Upper District, Mask following unbeknownst to anyone. The gate to the Upper district was tall and warded with magic, but for someone as experienced as he was, it meant little. It wasn't the first time he had snuck in and wouldn't be the last.

Paladin Johannes went straight for the largest building in the district. One that even Chloe had visited before. The City Lord's mansion. He left his knights in the lobby and guided by a flustered maid, was led to the City Lord's office. Outside the office the Paladin was stopped. Articus Fen blocked his path. Though Mask had bugged the office room he could not hear what was happening outside in the corridor. The two traded words before Articus resumed his seat outside the office door and the Paladin entered.

The City Lord stood up from his seat as the Paladin entered calmly at first. Once the maid left however, he showed his frustration.

"The Merchant is dead."

"What?" the City Lord's eyes widened. "How could-. You didn't-?"

"Of course not," Johannes frowned. "He would have been an excellent tool. You said before that there was no threat in this city, that everyone important was already on your side. You lied."

"I didn't lie," the City Lord grit his teeth. "Aside from that has been Guild Master, no one could hold a candle to you. The only experts are Articus and there were those three Dark Guild lackeys."

"And exactly where did the three go?"

"Two disappeared several weeks ago, their leader hasn't made contact since yesterday...."

"You idiot!" Johannes yelled. "You think you can just buy everyone off with money?"

"Don't you yell at me," the Lord didn't back down. "You shouldn't even have come here. We're not supposed to meet like this."

"How could I not meet with you after the most powerful merchant in this forsaken city died in my arms? This room is secure isn't it?"

"Of course it is," his confidence was firm but misplaced.

"And you are sure there are no others who could threaten us?

"There are no others."

The Paladin's eyes grew fierce, "Then the rumours about Mask of the Problem Solvers?"

"They're just rumours," again he was firm, but a cold sweat had begun to form on his spine.

"Let me remind you Christoph, fail this and you won't just lose your position but much more. You entered a deal. There are many things worse than death."

"I-I have a lot to gain from this. I will not fail."

"Good. The next time we meet it will be in public. Be sure to act your part appropriately."

The City Lord, Christoph, nodded. Compared to the Paladin, he seemed to only be middle management. Mask had expected as much. It wasn't all too rare for the Problem Solvers to send him when things didn't look right. They must have had an inkling that something bigger was happening in the city. The question was, just how far did their plans go and where did they lead? Mask sighed from his position hidden in the garden. Things were getting more complicated.

Mask remained where he was until the Paladin and his knights left. He enjoyed the frustration and anger the City Lord unleased in his office before escaping to a lone alley. A circular device reached his palm and turning the dial the tool lit up.

The Handler's voice came through, "Arten, if you keep calling me like this you're going to get barely any pay for this job."

"I need your help," Mask got straight to the point.

His serious tone shifted the Handler into business, "What do you need?"

"You to come here."

The Handler choked from shock and spluttered a cough, "Excuse me?"

"Things have gone awry. The resistance failed their plan due to the Paladin's influence. I'll be intervening and I need your support."

She clicked her tongue in reply, "Don't lie to me. You could do this without me. The reason you can't is the girl."

"And that's exactly it. You owe me. Besides if you hadn't proposed the heist in the first place, Rector and the rest of the dark guild wouldn't have been here. The resistance may have succeeded."

"Damn it," the Handler was clearly reluctant. "It's the middle of winter! I'll freeze before I get there."

"You're much more capable than that."

"Don't sweet talk me." She took a deep breath and groaned, "Give me two weeks."

"I can spare one."

"Oh you rotten-," she cut herself off. "Fine. I'll see you in a week. I was going to set up shop there eventually anyway. I have to pack now so I'll hang up."

"Thank you."

The Handler sighed, "Don't thank me yet."