Chapter 3: Open City (Part 3)

It didn't take long for them to reach their destination. As they were already on the more refined side of the market district it was only a stone's throw away to the upper district. There on the border stood an expansive stone cathedral. The weathering on the grey stone only added to its majesty as if to say it had stood the test of time and would do so again and again. The towers and peaks attached rose above the surrounding buildings, causing it to be easy to spot from most the city. At first Chloe thought it might have been a castle but the dignified symbol of the One was firmly engraved above the cathedral's open doors. A circular eye that also resembled the shape of their world.

Chloe gulped. Compared to the rest of the city she had seen so far, it more than stood out. The architecture and elegance of its stained glass windows were vastly different to the sturdy housing and shops they had passed. If anything it seemed odd and out of place.

"Why?" Chloe mumbled to herself.

Mask understood her confusion as they approached, "It's a little obnoxious compared to everything else isn't it? It's stranger still in the land of the Fay were most buildings are merged with nature. But still, to be officially recognised by the Church as a city, one needs a cathedral. A town needs a church, and a village at least a shrine. You could say it's a small price to pay considering the Church funds the building themselves."

They reached the open doors that towered above. Even if Chloe was ten times taller she wouldn't be able to reach the frame. Then they stepped inside and Chloe shivered from the sudden atmosphere change. The outside had been busy with noise but across the boundary everything dulled to a whisper. A sense of tense tranquillity ebbed beneath the stone arches and at the opposite end of the entrance was an altar. Above the altar the symbol of the One and then rising above it becoming smaller, nine other symbols Chloe couldn't recall.

"From your gaping mouth I assume you have never been in a cathedral before," Mask commented. Chloe closed her mouth and shook her head. "The Central nobles do tend to try keep their distance from the Church but even they can't deny their influence."

"Those symbols above the One, what are they?" Chloe had to ask as they continued to draw her eye.

Mask let out a stiff expression, "They represent the world powers. The symbol of the One is always the largest and as the pillar of the world supports those above. The nine others are symbols that represent the strongest nine in the entire world."

"The world?" Chloe didn't quite understand.

"It's exactly what you think. You could think of it as a ranking for the top 10, top 9 really as the One always takes 1st position."

"But what if it changes?"

"The wall will change as the ranking changes. Similar to Titles, it represents the truth."

Chloe's eyes widened in curious excitement. Though she knew she had nothing to do with world powers, simply knowing there was a ranking filled her soul with possibility.

"Who are they?" she asked as she quickly moved forward to get a better view. Mask followed behind her as the worshippers and the cathedral staff looked upon them with smiling eyes. They had seen the same situation quite a few times with other children.

Mask answered Chloe's question, "Number 2 is the Dragon god, have you heard of him?"

"I have!" Chloe responded strongly. "But I didn't think he was real. The mischievous dragon, no matter how large or small a party you have, you must always save him a seat or risk his wrath. Isn't that just superstition?"