Chapter 11: My way (Part 2)

Fourth floor of the Tilbury Trade Headquarters, Mr Tilbury sat behind his desk waiting. There was no doubt that his guest would arrive soon as not only did he believe the Paladin smart enough but had also sent a formal invitation. When in business, the one who struck first had the advantage. That was what Mr Tilbury had always believed.

As the clock struck midday, his office door opened.

"Mr Tilbury, Paladin Johannes is here to see you," his secretary bowed towards him, her expression calm.

"Please see him in and prepare the finest tea," the merchant curled his moustache to calm himself.

"Yes sir," the secretary left and soon returned with the armoured Paladin. By courtesy he had not taken his sword with him but truthfully he had little need of it in the circumstances. A pot of tea was set on the table and with that only the two remained.

"Mr Tilbury, thank you the invitation," Paladin Johannes nodded to him and accepted the cup the merchant poured. "Your letter said you could aid my investigation."

"Indeed," Mr Tilbury sipped the fine porcelain cup and savoured the taste. "First, do try the tea. Straight from the reserve planation of the Central Nobility. A fortune to have it delivered but worth every coin."

The Paladin showed the proper etiquette and picking up his cup breathed in the aroma before letting the liquid pass over his tongue, "It's a delicious blend. A subtle flavour of fruit with a rather pleasant after taste. That money however could have been spent better elsewhere."

"Perhaps, but my goal was always to have enough money to both help people and help myself," the merchant showed a business grin. "As for why I invited you here. You must have noticed already my part in all this."

Johannes frowned, "Do you plead your guilt?"

"It is true that I offered my support to Tarken's plan, may his soul rest, however it was never my intention for anyone to be hurt. I fully trusted Tarken would never go so far."

"Regardless you will face punishment by the will of the city and Church," the Paladin spoke firmly.

"And I will accept it, however, I wish to reach a bargain. Though their tracks are hidden, there were others involved and I just happen to know who they are." Mr Tilbury leaned back in his chair, smiling.

"What do you want?" his words struck straight to the point.

"What I want is my good name. If I give you the others I'm sure they will not sit silently, but a man of your skill could suppress the rumours. As for my punishment, I will spare no effort in making up for my mistake."

Paladin Johannes stood up, "You would give them up to protect yourself?"

"If it is needed," the merchant remained calm.

"You truly are a merchant through and through. No loyalty, but easily jumping onto the bigger raft."

"I agree that is what I am." Mr Tilbury became serious, "However it is we that support everything in this world. The flow of money must not stop and we are its servants. Though I am stuck in this city, my assets throughout the world are not little. I could become quite the help on whatever quests you plan to resolve. It was always my intention to do good, despite what happened I believe we can work well together."

Johannes frowned, questioning him, "Do you not feel even a little guilt from betraying those who trusted you?"

"Frankly no. The deal we had then was in mutual interest. Same with the deal I propose to you now. We both benefit."

"Let's see the contract then," the Paladin reached his hand across the table. "I'm sure you already have something written."

"How astute of you," Mr Tilbury smiled. "I knew that you were smart." He handed over a thick sheet of paper with conditions clearly laid out. "Please let me know if you have any requests."

"Give me some time to read this," Johannes did not return to his seat but instead moved to the opposite side of the room, leaning against the wall as he read. The contract was legitimate and when signed would bind their souls to the agreement. It was clear that Mr Tilbury also wanted to show his goodwill as the conditions were in the Paladin's favour. That however wasn't good enough.

Several minutes passed before Johannes returned to his seat, "Mr Tilbury I can see your desire to make amends within this contract. I accept these conditions. I warn you however, this deal won't be easy on you."

"If it means for me to keep my good name then I will do as needed," the merchant placed two small vials of shining ink between them.

"Allow me to go first," Johannes smiled and cutting his finger let his blood drip into the vial before using it to sign his name.

As soon as the signature was finalised Mr Tilbury smiled filled with relief. He had been willing to lose more and was more than happy that the rumours of the Paladin's kindness were true. Cutting himself, the merchant signed the contract. With the two names signed in blood and ink, the paper shone bright. It shook once before coiling up and sealing itself into a roll.

"Glad to do business with you Paladin Johannes," Mr Tilbury smiled.

"Same to you. Now stop breathing," the Paladin's smile grew sinister.

At first Mr Tilbury was confused only to realise his throat had constricted and despite all he tried he couldn't take in an ounce of oxygen. He began to choke, alarmed, and in his panic snatched the contract, unfurling it. His eyes widened in shock as he only now realised that key words had been changed. He had just signed away his life. Absolute servitude.

"You should really be more careful. Don't you know always to double check anything before you sign it?" the Paladin laughed. "Oh you can breathe now."

Mr Tilbury sucked in the air as soon as he could, "Y-you. Impossible, the contract was the same! How could you-."

"Contracts are incredibly important in my line of work. Of course I would know how to tamper them, and yours were incredibly easy to do so. As I said, you should really take more care."

"You vile lying co-!"

"Stop."

Mr Tilbury froze, the words he had planned to throw in desperation stuck.

"I've always wanted a merchant to do my bidding. It'll make things easier for me. Don't worry Mr Tilbury, you've actually made a good choice today. I'm sure you'll reap plenty of benefits." The grin on his finally showed his true nature. A perverse cruelty that enjoyed the suffering of others. The handsome Paladin had transformed into a devil. "Now, before I forget. Tell me the names of those you were working with."

"Their names we-," the merchant who had just been released suddenly froze again.

Johannes scowled, "I said tell me their names. Hey! Do as I say or you'll suffer!" For a moment the Paladin thought he had underestimated the merchant. Only those with great willpower could stop the control from a contract. It wasn't till the blood spilled from Mr Tilbury's lips that he realised the tampering of a third party. The merchant was already dead.

"Who dares!?" Johannes screamed and spread his power through the room. The room while large wasn't a place you could hide. A single large window looked out into the city but was sealed. Beyond that the outside world was hazed with snow. He could find no one and his anger flared shaking the room.

The door burst open. A Church knight entered, sword drawn.

"Sir we felt your-."

Johannes had Mr Tilbury in his arms, "Quick find an alchemist! Mr Tilbury has been poisoned." The building flew into a panic.