Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 5)

Mask changed his clothes behind a partition as Chloe sat with her legs dangling off her bed. The small room was adequate but privacy wasn't something they could spare even in the inn. Though truth be told Chloe knew if she asked Lana she could stay with her or even use one of the other spare rooms. The girl however found comfort in Mask's presence. As for Mask, he didn't mind. He'd had much worse company before.

With a fresh set of clothes on Mask leaned back on his bed and for a moment regarded the girl sitting close by. Appearance wise she looked like a well-kept young girl around the age of 6. Her skin, poise and speech suggested a wealthier upbringing. The truth however was uncertain. Her supposed age was 8 but from Migter's words there was more there than met the eye. Mask however stuck by his choice to not pry. He especially had secrets to hide and knew what it was like to hide them.

"Umm Uncle are you really alright?" Chloe asked tentatively.

"I'm fine," Mask replied truthfully. "A little tired but that's all. Those two were quite strong in their own right but they lacked the experience of fighting with their lives truly on the line."

"But your jacket was all torn up and your shoulder...."

"My shoulder is fine now," Mask pulled down his shirt to reveal the smooth skin.

"H-how?" Chloe wondered if it was actually an illusion.

"I healed it just before."

"Why didn't you earlier?" she was clearly confused.

"Because it was dangerous to," Mask replied simply. "Magic utilises mana to take form, but to change that mana we use energy in ourselves."

"I know that much," Chloe grumbled.

"Yes, and healing magic takes a particularly big chunk of energy. What would happen if I tried to heal myself while I was surrounded?"

"You would only tire yourself out," she frowned as she understood. "So you have to choose when it's safe to heal or put yourself at risk."

"Spot on. As for my jacket, it'll repair itself in a few hours. It's an artefact in its own right, however don't go touching it. I have dangerous things in there."

"Y-yes," Chloe who had been about to get a closer look at the hanging jacket sat back onto her bed.

"Enough about me," Mask turned his head to look at her. "Tell me what happened today. Don't worry, whatever happened I won't be mad."

Chloe took a deep breath and explained what had happened to her before he arrived. It was all too tempting to tell the tale in a favourable manner. To excuse her actions or what happened, to make it seem like she was braver than she was. In the end she felt Mask would see pass any of her words and she told it exactly like she remembered.

"And then you appeared...," Chloe finished.

"I see," Mask rose to a sitting position and reaching over, gently patted her head. "You went through a lot. Good job."

Chloe said nothing, her expression skewed by her own thoughts of what she deserved.

"How about how you felt? You explained what happened but it's important to acknowledge your own feelings as well."

"I-I...," she paused and squeezed her hands. "I was scared. But not because of what happened. I mean that was frightening as well..., but I was scared of disappointing you the most."

"Disappointing me?" Mask was genuinely confused.

"I left the guild despite what you told me and then I was almost kidnapped. I'm sorry."