Chapter 2: Chloe.

Chapter 2: Chloe.

Smooth black hair that went down to her waist and bright blue eyes that reflected the shallows of the sea. Her skin was a pleasant cream common to those of the Central region and most importantly, unblemished. The young girl was quite short and thin to the point where the cold air of Toren could be a real danger. Whoever she was, the care that went into her had convinced Mask that she wasn't real.

The girl stood up, her feet still in the box. For a moment the two regarded each other in silence. Mask in his work outfit, armed and dangerous. His ominous cracked white mask and black eyes staring down at her was enough to make a grown adult cry let alone a young child. The girl however stared back with an odd determination. Her eyes flickered towards him as if reading who he was. Then finally she breathed in deep.

"Fear not for I am here!" she yelled at the top of her lungs shocking Mask as he forced his body to not show it. Had he not cast a barrier around them earlier her voice would have alerted the guards easily.

Another calming and slow breath followed before the girl stepped out from the box and curtsied. Both hands on her dress, one foot behind the other. The traditional greeting of a lady from the Central Empire and one done with the precision and practice of a noble.

"I apologise for my outburst. It was to calm myself," the young child spoke clearly but Mask could pick the strain of nervousness within. She had been taught to remain calm, but being a child the situation was still a lot to deal with. "My name is Chloe, may I ask who I am speaking with?"

"You can call me Mask," he replied. "Little girl why were you in the box?"

"I..., it seems that-. I was kidnapped," she responded.

Mask pressed his hand against his mask and sighed. This was far worse than anything he could be bothered dealing with.

"Sir Mask," Chloe began again. "I would like to request your assistance to return me back home. Though I have nothing now, I promise to repay you with anything I can."

"First, why were you kidnapped?" Mask questioned her.

Her small hands gripped together tightly, "I'm from a very influential family so that's probably why...."

"Probably?" Mask knew better. If that was all, she would have been ransomed back before ever leaving her home town let alone ending up in one of the most remote cities in the world.

Again she looked at him, her eyes seemed to sheen, inspecting something he couldn't see. Her mouth opened, hesitating.

"Never mind," Mask stopped her, instead pulled a blanket from his pocket and tossed it over her head. "Stay here and use this to warm up. I have a call to make."

**

Chloe wrapped the blanket around her and found it incredibly warm despite its thinness. It was a strange material, soft and smooth yet patterned with scales giving it a rough look. The warmth helped calm her aching heart. To put it simply she was afraid. She did not know where she was or why exactly she had been in a box. The only reason she hadn't began to cry was from her pride and upbringing. She could not bring shame to her name, no matter what.

The man who had saved her filled her with a strange anxiety. His appearance screamed danger but his presence made her feel at least a little safe. He stood a few metres away and pulled out a circular device that began to glow.