Chapter 15: Dungeon (Part 1)

Chapter 15: Dungeon

"This is madness!" the man screamed livid with rage as he was pinned to the ground. For all his finery and wealth, in the end not even his family stood up to help him. "How dare you come into my home! I am a member of this city's council. I'll have you all-."

"We know," Ron stepped forward from the guards he was leading. He unleashed a roll of paper, "Your friends have already given all the evidence of your deeds. Kidnapping the hungry, exploiting them and finally torturing them for your vile pleasure.... You're lucky you're even alive right now."

"What-, how could you?" his confusion was clear. He turned towards his home, where his wife and children couldn't even look him in the eye.

His son, held his wife, his eyes full of scorn, "How could you father?"

"No- this is a misunderstanding- I-."

Ron silenced him, "Take him away." The man was dragged to a carriage, already waiting.

As the peace of morning returned, a hand planted on Ron's shoulder, "Good work. I am glad that this city has honourable men like yourself."

"Thank you Paladin Johannes. Your words give me strength," Ron smiled. This was the fourth council member they had arrested in just as many days. In the next few hours, two more would join him according to Masks plan.

"More than anything I am impressed that you could act so swiftly," the Paladin commended him. "Your talents could have you become more than just a Gate Captain even in a Kingdom's Capital. I must ask where is this all coming from?"

Ron's expression softened, "The man you killed... Tarken. He set up this plan before he passed away. I do not blame you, what he did during the festival was wrong, but he was still a friend who wanted the best for the city."

"I see.... Perhaps I was too hasty back then."

"Perhaps," Ron smiled weakly and turned away. Of course it wasn't all Tarken's plan, but Mask had told him the documents that the Port Master had gathered were key, and he couldn't speak of Mask's involvement.

"Wait," Johannes chased after him. "What do you plan to do from here?"

Ron answered him exactly as he was meant to, "The news we arrested Sir Kael will spread quickly. There are two others on the council that I'm keeping my eye on as well. If I'm right then they'll try something soon, most likely they'll come for my life. Normally they'd run, but this blizzard is keeping everyone locked inside. It's the perfect chance to wrap things up."

"You're using yourself as bait," the Paladin expressed his admiration. "Not many would have the courage to do so. Please allow me to continue to assist you."

"Unfortunately you're too well known Sir Paladin, they'll never come near if you're close by. I have another friend who's volunteered instead."

"Then I shall take my rest...," Johannes paused. "About my question however, I meant what were you planning after this? You've already shaken the council. Do you intend to become the new City Lord?"

"By the One no," Ron laughed coarsely. "I could never, not by myself at least. The idea of the council was the previous City Lord's. He was a wise man however time has changed his intentions. The council will stay but the rules will change. We've seen what corruption can do. No one person should have that much power."

"And those are your true thoughts?"

"Yes they are," Ron nodded. Though Mask's plan was detailed, he had specifically left out what would happen after to Ron. Toren's people should decide their own fate, or so he had said at the time.