Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 2)

Chloe could feel herself begin to shake. The moment was coming soon. All their preparation was leading to this final battle. Even now she could see the Paladin's Titles. The truth of his nature, pretending to help but truly being the cause. A gentle hand laid upon her much smaller one.

"We'll win," the Handler smiled with a sweet confidence.

The High Priest raised his voice, "Kneel and place your hand on this tomb. Let the light of the One make your Titles known."

With all the confidence in the world Paladin Johannes kneeled. Like Mask he had his own tool to change how his Titles looked to the world. Only a greater power could break through it, and a city the size of Toren would never have one. While true, Chloe knew that the city didn't need one. They had her, and more importantly, Mask.

Light lit up the temple as the Paladin's Title's formed above the tablet and altar. The golden light however quickly turned dark, marred by the truth. A gasp of shock echoed throughout the temple and beyond as the Titles that showed could only belong to the most heinous criminal. Johannes, who had been smiling, froze. His hand snapped back, ending the magic.

"What slander is this!" he roared, everyone confused.

Before it could grow any louder the High Priest raised his hands, "Silence all of you. This can only be the work of a curse, an illusion to trick us all." His words were right on point, the culprit Mask who sat in the second row. A cold sweat however had run down Johannes' back, as the Titles that were displayed were the truth, and in this room only he should know that.

The High Priest continued, "There is a simple way we can solve this. Paladin Johannes, though it may be rude, I ask you strip yourself and wear our ceremonial garments. They have been blessed by the One and will cleanse you of nothing but the truth." The crowd began to relax, knowing that there was a solution to the anxiety. "You will need to remove any jewellery, or enchanted equipment you may have. Do not worry, we promise to take good care of it, as you have us." The trap had been laid. There was no need to steal or find whatever hid the Paladin's true nature. All that was needed was to force him into a situation where he removed it himself, or faced the consequences.

"Of course," Johannes smiled, showing the friendly and peaceful expression the people had grown accustomed to. He began with his sword, lifting it off his belt and in that moment, in a flash the sword was drawn, its aim, the High Priest's neck. The Paladin had made his decision. The blade however was blocked and a metallic snap rung all through the temple.

"Finally showing yourself are you?" Articus, the Lord's Knight blocked his sword with his own. The older man, in full armour grinned beneath his helmet. His revenge would start now.

"Tch," Johannes spat, annoyed. He realised he had been trapped, the solution now was to remove all witnesses. Even if that meant the entire city. "You think I won't kill you all? Just try to protect everyone here!" The Paladin raised his sword. The firm metal crackled with Aura and energy. The wide swing would decimate half the temple.

A single arm however grabbed onto him, "You're coming with me." Master Lanton gripped him tightly and revealed the gem postured between his teeth. The Paladin tried to swing, only for Articus to grip his other side. Grinning, Master Lanton bit down and the three vanished.

Chloe whose heart had been hammering, gulped, "It starts for real now doesn't it?"

The Handler nodded as she hefted a large bag beside her, "Let's go."

Below on the ground floor Mask caught Chloe's gaze and smiled. With a wave, he vanished. Shortly after the temple and the people broke into chaos.