Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 3)

Mask hovered over the dead monster and breathed out, easing his muscles which had tensed. With Chloe in Lana's care he immediately went into the city, targeting the quieter areas of the city where the monsters may go unnoticed till too late. Most had already been taken care of. With the guards, Church, and the Paladin, the monsters were soon removed. The loss of life however was permanent and while Mask did not know the severity, there was no denying the people's wrath would be triggered. The question was where their ire would go.

"Mr Kane!" a voice called to him. Ron quickly made his way over alone. "I'm glad to see you okay."

"You as well Ron," Mask nodded. "How is the rest of the city?"

"Above ground is fine, below however, we're not sure." He grit his teeth, "It wasn't supposed to be like this."

"It's not your fault."

"Maybe not all of it, but I could have done more to stop it," he shook his head but managed calmed the emotions within. "The Paladin made an oath to discover the source and punish those responsible. He already captured Tarken."

Mask frowned, "Will you be okay?"

"The five of us each led our own groups and we purposefully kept our identities a secret from anyone else. Tarken would die before he betrayed us."

"And Mr Tilbury?"

"He..., I'm not sure," Ron admitted. "I'm sorry for getting you involved Corvis. I promise you no matter what, I will see to you and your niece's safety."

"I'm thankful but let's hope for the best," Mask clasped his shoulder. "I'll be watching, and if need be, I'll do what I can."

"Thank you," Ron looked at him with all the sincerity he could muster. "It would be a relief if you could join us below the city."

Mask nodded and looked to the sky. Grey clouds blocked the sun and a chill wind echoed through the streets. It was silent. No festival or screams. A foreboding tone to what was to come.

**

Mask had investigated the underground city before. The information pack the Handler had supplied included key history of the city, the underground included. As such he knew the general outline of the multitude of paths and where the monster pit was located. Though Tarken and Mr Tilbury had never gone into detail about their plan, Mask had taken the liberty to conduct his own findings. It was simple enough. Release a monster and guide it above ground where it could scare but not harm the people. Now beneath the city, Mask could see the evidence of where it had all gone wrong.

More than half of the cells keeping the monsters within had been opened. The result was a bloody mess as everyone involved had been rip to shreds. Tarken and Mr Tilbury's men were no more than a scrap of bone and meat.

"This is horrible," one of the Church knights who belonged to the Paladin commented. "To think there were monsters being kept below the city."

"But who released them?" another asked. "And why?"

Paladin Johannes waved his arm, "For now that doesn't matter. We have our suspect already. Spread out and make sure there are no more wandering the city."

"And what about the ones inside their cages?" a city guard raised his arm.

"Until we get to the bottom of this, leave them. It could be dangerous."

"Yes sir!" the knights and guards saluted, dispersing themselves around the area.

Mask stayed behind as did the Paladin. They weren't alone as several guards and a few of the new adventurers remained.

"What do you think?" Johannes asked Mask directly.

"You want my opinion?" Mask faced him acting honourably surprised.

"Of course," the Paladin smiled. "I have heard of you these past few days. They say your efforts spared many of those starving for food and warmth. I believe the reason the monsters could be contained so quickly is because of those new adventurers you raised. They were imperative in protecting those who could not."

A few of the adventurers in the area nodded fully supporting the Paladin's words and looked to Mask in admiration.

"I only did what I wanted to do," Mask replied casually. "I'm not sure about all this however, what can you see?" He turned it back to the Paladin.

The supposed righteous man shook his head in sombre disappointment, "I see an act of retaliation that was not clearly thought through. It is clear their goal was to lead me here, however could they not have spoken to me? Instead innocent lives were lost. From my days in Toren I came to understand the City Lord has hurt the people, but to go this far is madness."

"It is madness," Mask spoke as if he agreed, all the while carefully analysing the stone cells around him. This may be the last chance he could enter so easily. The cells were designed to be opened from a distance with a magic lock. The magic however had been tampered with. The obvious culprit was Rector, Mask knew however Rector was not so talented in the arcane art, otherwise he would not have been able to kill him. Someone else had tampered with it first.

"I heard you could use intermediate level magic, certainly there's more you could see?" Johannes came closer while smiling. "Magic at your level is rare around these parts. Even I can't do much more than a novice. Anything you can add would be helpful."

Mask nodded and made a show to place his hand on the cell walls, letting green swirls of energy spin off his fingers. Of course it was all for show as he had already found what he needed.

"It's definitely a magic lock. It looks like whoever opened it made a mistake and opened all of them. They must have panicked and were unable to lock the cages again."

"Ah yes, that's what I thought as well," the Paladin clasped Mask's shoulders. "You know, I could recommend you to the Church as a knight. We're always looking for talented people like yourself." The adventurers and guards still in the area widened their eyes, clearly thinking about the honour a knight's title would bring.

"Thank you, I'll think about it," Mask smiled as if he as well was honoured. Inside, his guard never fell. The Paladin was truly fearful, his ability to act the part was beyond even Mask's. If it weren't for Chloe, he really may have been pulled into the man's friendly demeanour. The Paladin however made a mistake. The simple friendly touch on his shoulder was all Mask needed to read his energy, and that energy lingered in the room like unsettled gas. Johannes had been here before.