Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 1)

Chapter 6: Shifting.

The adventurer's guild doors opened despite the late hour and bitter cold. Lana who had been waiting snapped up from her leaning posture across the counter, keen to see who entered. A smile split her lips.

"You're back!" she immediately approached Mask and Chloe who was still in his arms only to be hushed.

Mask placed a finger against his mask, "She's asleep."

Lana switched to a whisper, "Thank you for coming back." Her words were filled with more heartfelt sincerity than even she thought was possible.

"Of course," Mask smiled. "Chloe didn't like the lord, so there wasn't much I could do. Besides I've learnt to never trust a man who doesn't introduce himself."

"Ha, typical of him. He expects everyone to know his name." Lana paused, "Though since you rejected his offer...."

Mask nodded, "We need a new place to stay. Somewhere safer. I believe you have a spare room?"

"Even including the Church you won't be safer anywhere," Lana postured strongly. "Follow me."

Lana led Mask upstairs and away from the office where Mr Bentz lingered. On the other side of the guild building and part of a narrow corridor, several doors lined the wall.

"These are rooms saved for guild staff but I'm the only full time employee at the moment. Master Lanton resides in his own room elsewhere." She opened the door at the end of the corridor and revealed the sparse room. "It's not much but our beds are pretty comfortable. If you need anything I'm in the room two doors down."

"Again thank you," Mask laid Chloe into one of the beds and tucked her beneath the blankets as she mumbled in her dreams.

"I should really be the one thanking you," Lana admitted. "I thought that you may not come back. I've been to the Upper district several times..., it's much nicer than here."

"A bit too much nicer," Mask added.

"You hit the point right on the head," Lana agreed. "I'll let Master Lanton know you're here. He'll be glad to know your choice. We should also both get some sleep, I'm sure tomorrow will be a busy day."

"I'm sure it will," Mask waved her goodbye as she closed the door and left. He drew the note from his pocket. Beneath the East Side, where the White Rat lies. 1 hour past the Dragon's caw. It would indeed be a very busy day.

**

Mask entered the downstairs portion of the Adventurer's guild early in the morning. The sun hadn't yet risen and even Lana hadn't woken. Sitting at his usual table however was Master Lanton sporting a morning drink.

"Good morning Mr Kane," Master Lanton waved Mask to come over. "I hope the room was suitable for your needs."

"For the most part yes it was," Mask took a seat beside him. "I'm surprised to see you awake so soon."

"That's cause I haven't slept," it clearly wasn't a joke but the energy in Lanton's eyes showed he was perfectly fine. "You're putting a lot at risk coming back here. It would have been safer if you just left the city."

"At this point Chloe would find it too hard to leave," Mask replied simply. "She also cares quite a bit for the people here."

"She's a sweet child," Master Lanton took a sip of his drink, his eyes not leaving Mask.