Chapter 9: A chance. (Part 2)

Mask didn't have to chase far as Rector stopped in the alcove between three buildings. The chaos and screams of the city could be heard echoing in the distance but for the two men and child, their hearts were only beating in the present. Before Mask could even speak Rector burst out in crazed laughter.

"I knew it! I knew it. I knew it. I knew!" He held Chloe up and looked at her with an insidious mirth. "I've finally found you my dear darling."

Chloe struggled in his arms but could do nothing against his much greater strength and weight. Mask as well was frozen, a false move could spill the end for the young girl.

Rector faced him, "Impressive illusions you applied to her clothes. I suspected for oh so long, but no matter what I couldn't get near, but finally you were distracted. Isn't that right Mask?"

Mask grit his teeth, "You did this didn't you?"

"Well they were going to anyway, I just needed it to be bigger! All for you and that damn Guild Master to step away." He smiled deranged, "And finally I found her again. My prize. I was worried you know, thought they might have my head."

"You crazy bastard," Mask eyed him with grim intent. "Put Chloe down and leave. Cross me and you're head will fly regardless."

"You think you can?" Rector held a knife to Chloe's cheek. "I just need her intact. A few nicks, scratches or missing limbs won't matter to me."

Chloe felt a chill like none other. Her two greatest fears collided. Her kidnapper had found her. The thought of returning to that sealed box gripped her heart. Time would pass like nothing and then whoever opened it next would never be as kind again. Then there was Mask who stood several metres away, sword drawn. She was holding him back. She was nothing but a liability. For all she asked for, he would suffer.

"How about this?" Rector licked his lips. "You killed my colleagues, their share has to go somewhere, why not join me instead? The people I'm working for will soon be far greater than the Problem Solvers. The money alone will set you for life."

"You think that would sway me?" Mask's voice grew course. "She's just a girl Rector. Let her go!"

"You really think that's all she is?" he laughed spitefully, shaking Chloe and nicking her cheek against the knife. "Ah oops. Well whatever. This thing isn't even human anyway." Chloe flinched not from pain but his words. "Oh? Where you keeping it a little secret? Didn't want to make him think that you're really a freak?"

"That's enough," Mask spoke, his anger rising between the calm tones of his words.

"Enough?" Rector smirked. "Enough would have been if you had just ditched it in an alley, but you just had to keep her close didn't you? Want to guess what she is? What this freak actually is?"

Mask pointed his sword directly at Rector, "Those words are for Chloe to say for herself, not yours."

"Ha! How gallant," Rector mocked. "Do you really think you can beat me like this?" One arm still on Chloe, he traded his knife for the whip at his side.

Mask sighed and dropped his sword to the ground. From his pockets he pulled a white mask and replaced his wooden one. "If I have to, I'll face you with the full might of the one called Mask of the Problem Solvers." He pulled on his gloves, and released his aura which darkened the air around him.

Rector did the same as a hideous green began to scrawl across his skin, "Watch it. One move and I may accidently crush the freak's lungs."