Chapter 17: The end for now. (Part 2)

Chloe didn't know quite what to expect when she entered the city. The eastern gate was quiet but in the distance a mixture of sounds she couldn't quite pick out resounded. They continued to make their way through the streets, Mask and the Handler calm. As they passed by the market plaza Chloe first saw the destruction it had gone through. Rope painted red cordoned it off as behind it several buildings and the ground had been torn up. It was even more of a mess than outside the city walls. Finally however they reached the source of all the noise. The Temple grounds and all around it, people celebrating.

"We already sorted it all out," the Handler winked. "Or at least mostly."

At first Chloe didn't understand what she meant but as she looked at the people of Toren closer, their celebrations weren't quite right. There was plenty of food and drink and the people were letting loose, but many of their expressions were marred. A smile face would pause and wander, only to shake and smile once again. These were a people who had the truth of the Paladin thrust upon them. Their trust in others had been wounded, yet all the same, there were Heroes they could believe in.

"Is it really alright for everyone to be celebrating with what just happened?" Chloe asked concerned.

"What better time to?" Mask chuckled. "This is their chance to escape and be reborn. The dreadful winter coming to a close and with so much that happened, even the most stoic man would need a change of pace. The alternative is to let them ruminate alone. It's better just to try air it all out."

"I see...," though she still wasn't so sure, it looked like everyone was enjoying it.

It didn't take long for someone to spot them and Master Lanton casually approached to avoid suspicion.

He clapped Mask on the shoulders, "Where have you been Mr Kane? Please come in, we have a special seat for you." The three of them were guided into a building close by the Temple. On the second floor, surrounding a table were Ron, Articus, Lana and the High Priest. Compared to the mood outside, the atmosphere was much drier.

"You're okay," Lana stood up relieved. "I can't believe you hid all this from me!"

Ron nodded, "You could have at least told me the Paladin was actually a monster."

Mask pulled out a chair for Chloe to sit down as he spoke, "We hid what we had to. Ron, do you think you could have really acted naturally around him knowing the truth?"

"No, I guess not," he sighed. "Though... what happened to him?"

"Dead," the Handler replied as she sat. "You told the people as much right?"

Articus nodded, "Yes, and the Guild Master and I took the credit for it like you wished. It took some time to calm the people down but the High Priest saw to it. The Knights that followed him were the hardest to convince, but it's hard not to believe it when the man himself tried to kill in the Temple."

The High Priest Thomas sombrely shook his head, "When you left me that note I wasn't sure what to do with it. You're lucky I am a curious man and chose to investigate. Still, I had hoped it wasn't true. To think that all the good Johannes had done was truly just reaping the rewards of his wrong doings." He sighed, revealing his age, "The people are shaken. Thankfully the celebration we planned could still go ahead and it has calmed their nerves. There will however be a lot to work on."

"And I'm sure you'll have that covered," Mask smiled encouragingly, his eyes pointed to Ron in particular.

"Yeah I know," Ron smiled wryly. "Until the city no longer needs me, I'll do my best."