Chapter 16: Defeat (Part 1)

Chapter 16: Defeat

"You're losing focus again."

Chloe grit her teeth at the Handler's words, "How could I not?"

"Are you that anxious?" she laughed. "At this rate it'll be another week before you can reach the novice level for Flow."

"Does that really matter at the moment?" the young girl huffed and let her sword fall to the snow beneath her feet.

The two stood together in the training yard of the adventurer's guild. A layer of snow laid across the ground, thinner than usual. The previous day when they had all returned from the dungeon the blizzard had ended. Like a breath of fresh air the city of Toren had been rejuvenated. Chloe however knew better and while the people celebrated, excited for winter to begin to loosen, she dreaded something else.

"It's happening today...," Chloe spoke softly. "What if you lose?"

"Well if we do, chances are the entire city could be at risk. Considering how insane the Paladin may really be, if he's outed he might just destroy everything himself." The Handler laughed. Despite the content of her words, her tone was light. "Point is, that's why we can't lose. Or at the very least, the Paladin can't win."

"Wow, you really aren't good at comforting people are you," the new voice belonged to Mask, who exited the guild and approach them. He stopped beside Chloe.

"Aren't you scared?" she asked him, shivering herself. "He's a Master..., you're not. I know Master Lanton and that knight are helping but..., will it be enough?"

"It's true on paper the Paladin could beat any of us. In fact if we all just pounced on him we might not win either."

The Handler scoffed as Chloe's expression grew more anxious, "And you said I was bad at comforting people."

"Let me finish," Mask waved her comment away. "This is our job Chloe. What do you think the three most important things in a battle are?"

"Umm how strong you are?" she paused to think. "And how much you know about your opponent?"

"Yes, that's two. The third is how prepared you are." Mask smiled, "We have all three and the Paladin has only the one. He's stronger but he won't expect what's coming. Besides, use your eyes, the two of us, the Handler and I, we both have a Title that'll tell you we've done this before."

A glint entered Chloe's eyes as she looked at their numerous Titles. She had gone through the book of Titles several times now and there was one she settled on, "Slayer of Giants." The title given to those who not only fought those much stronger than themselves, but also won.

"Like I said Chloe, this is our job. To make sure people like that Paladin lose." He patted her head, "But I also took on another job, to get you home. Until I finish that, I'm not going to die."

"You promise?" she sniffed.

"I promise," Mask opened his arms and accepted her hug.

"We promise," the Handler joined in causing Mask to glare at her but she ignored him.

They slowly separated and looking up at the blue sky, Chloe couldn't help feel that there wouldn't have been a nicer day to end this and save the city.

**

The temple of Toren was the second largest building outside the Upper district. The only larger one was the council chambers but even that was only partially in the residential district. Chloe had been to the temple once before shortly after she met Mask. At the time it had been near empty, now it was crowded. The pews that led up to the altar and the mural of the One were full. People lined the walls and even the second floor seating was packed. Most the city were either inside or in the surrounding grounds of the temple.

Beneath the mural where the eye of the One stood above all others was the symbols of the 9 strongest in the world. In front of it was the altar and standing behind it was an old man in simple yet fine robes. He was the high priest of the Church and the one Chloe and Mask had previously paid a visit to. The reason for everyone's gathering, a celebrated fact.

"I ask you all to quieten," the high priest raised his hand and spoke in loud yet gentle voice. "Thank you people of Toren for coming here this afternoon. You know why we have gathered here, and it is to celebrate the valorous men and women who rooted out the corruption that plagued us. We gather today at the Temple as true neutral ground between all of Toren whether it be those with more or less. I ask Ron Casper, the Gate Captain to speak."

Ron stood up from his seat in the front row. Beside him were several members of the council including Lady Berca and Mr Argus. On the other side of the row was the Paladin and Articus the Lord's knight. Mask sat a row behind, while Chloe and the Handler sat inconspicuously on the second floor.

Ron took to the lectern, "Greetings people of Toren." He was clearly nervous but did his best to not show it. "This past week we stumbled upon the truth of our city and the corruption that bled it near to death. Many of you are angry, and rightly so, but I ask you to aim your passion towards making our city the best it deserves. Those that need to be punished have been imprisoned and those that were left behind are innocent." He firmed his voice, "The guard of Toren will not accept any violence. We have all had too much of it."

He paused looking over the crowd and took a breath before smiling, "Though there is still much to do, we have taken a step forward to a brighter future. From today a temporary government will be formed between the Council, Adventurers Guild and the Church. Supplies will go where it is needed and soon, elections will be held. The power of Toren is back with the people, and for as long as I breathe I promise to do my utmost to guide its growth. There are several people however who deserve to be thanked for their service. I ask the high priest to bestow them his blessing in the name of the One."

The high priest took over, "Thank you Ron." He grinned, "Though do not sit yet, for the first to be blessed must be yourself. I know we told you we wouldn't do it, but the people want what they want."

The crowd cheered and unable to escape Ron kneeled before the priest.

"Place your hand on this tomb and let the light of the One make your Titles known," the high priest offered him a stone tablet. As soon as Ron touched it golden light sprang forth and formed the words Chloe was quite familiar with now. Ron's Titles were displayed to everyone, and reading them, it showed his good will. "I bless you in the name of the One. May you continue to be in his service."

"Thank you," Ron stood up slightly flushed. He raised his hand up, receiving an incredible cheer which even resonated outside the temple where the ceremony was being broadcasted. Though an election would be taken place, it was basically guaranteed that Ron would be a part of the new leadership. The only one who didn't know that was the man himself.

"Next I call forward Paladin Johannes," the High Priest summoned the armoured man to the altar. "Paladin Johannes of the Gentle Flame, you came to us in a dire time of need. In the small time the Paladin has been with us many tumultuous events have taken place, and in each one he was a key factor for ensuring peace. It was his influence that first bent the will of the City Lord to open the storages, it was he that protected us during the festival and it was he who helped the needy. For his latest praise, Johannes and his knights took a major role in supporting the Guard to do their duty. Without them our city could have been lost."