Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 1)

In the end Chloe didn't wake up even as night came. The small girl had exhausted her mental energy like no child should and the toll was a very long nap. Even Mask had to be concerned but after checking with Lana as well, she was perfectly fine and would wake up when ready. For the second time that day, Mask left a note on the table and headed into the night of the city. His destination written on a small paper, Beneath the East Side, where the White Rat lies. 1 hour past the Dragon's caw.

The words seemed vague but were clear to Mask who had done enough work in his field. If anything it was a test to see if he was worthy of finding them. The first part was easy as he quietly made his way to the eastern side of the city and into sewers below. The underground paths were wide and used for more than just transporting sewage as in times past much of the city had actually been underground. Before the walls had been erected the warmest place was beneath the ground. Better still due to his introduction of the slimes and adventurer work, the area had become much more well-kept with little smell.

The second part of the note, where the White Rat lies, was a bit more difficult and something Mask wouldn't know without having the Handler's help. It traced back to the history of the city where a prominent adventurer known as the White Rat had left a memorial. It had been close to a hundred years since then and most had forgotten but tales of the adventurer could still be found in the city library. The last clue was the most obscure. The Dragon's caw was a notion of time that depended on the weather and could change day by day. It referred to when dragon's liked to stretch their wings and rest, which usually happened on the eve of night.

For Mask it didn't take him long to reach the designated area. Part of the old city and quite a ways down, a single closed door made of firm engraved metal. He waited a single minute before tapping against the frame.

The door opened to a familiar face, Ron, the same guard who had welcomed him to the city more than a month prior. The red haired man smiled, impressed by Mask's arrival. Against his pale skin, the red of his hair was very vivid.

"You're exactly on time," Ron gestured for Mask to enter.

"Well I had to be in case the door was time sensitive," Mask replied.

"It is, but there's quite a bit of leeway," Ron led the way into the room. A single table surrounded by four stone walls, on one end a mural of a white rat decorated in a beautiful mosaic. The rest of the room was bare aside from the five other figures waiting around the table.

"Corvis Kane, welcome," a portly man with a brilliant business smile offered his hand to Mask. The man's attire was a step above everyone else in the room to the point it really didn't suit the atmosphere. The fact he greeted Mask first however showed that he was in a prominent position. Unlike the other pale skinned northerners, he had a tan to him, indicating he was at least born in the south. "The name's Filius Tilbury. You could say I'm the sponsor for this whole assortment."

"Mr Tilbury owns many establishments in the city and is widely regarded as the richest man in the city," Ron added. "Without him we couldn't afford to go against the city lord. If you haven't forgotten I'm Ron Marst, Gate Captain of the East gate. Around the table is Mr Argus, a member on the city council from the commoners side, Lady Berca, she's a member on the council from the Upper district and finally Tarken, he represents the residential district and the Port."

"It's a pleasure to meet you all," Mask shook their hands in turn and took a stand in the empty spot around the table. "I assume that there are more of you."