Chapter 3: Open City (Part 5)

"We're here for information on Mask," the mohawk man spoke through gritted teeth.

"Mask who?" Master Lanton narrowed his eyes.

"Of the Problem Solver Guild."

"Information like that comes at a cost," the guild master stretched out his one hand. The skinny kidnapper tossed a coin neatly onto his hand causing the guild master to smirk. "An entire gold. He must have pissed you off. Lana the information please."

The receptionist hesitated briefly before nodding her head and entering the back room. A tense silent minute passed before she returned.

"Would you like a private room?" Lana asked curtly.

"No, read it now," the mohawk man turned to her.

Lana began, "Mask of the Problem Solver Guild. True identify unknown. There is a total bounty on his head of 1,200,000g split among 13 different bounties. His net bounty however is minus 1,000,000g from numerous requests. He was last spotted three months ago from his involvement in the assassination of Count Rodrigues Von Tilos in the City of Ahn in the Kingdom of Art."

"And what about right now?" the mohawk man glowered.

"His whereabouts are unknown," the guild master answered in Lana's stead. "He's part of the Problem Solver Guild. I'd recommend you don't tangle with them."

"I don't fear the Problem Solvers," he spat back. "He's in the city somewhere. He has to be! Put a bounty on his head. 300,000g and any information will be paid for."

"Dead or alive?"

"Alive," the mohawk man's eyes glinted dangerously. It was clear that a part of why he wanted Mask alive was to punish him himself.

"You'll need a down payment," again the guild master offered his hand and this time a sizeable pouch was stacked on top. He felt the weight and nodded, "Your down payment is accepted."

"We're staying at the Bull Mouth inn in the Upper District. If you hear anything you let us know. Got it?"

"Well and truly," the guild master nodded casually. The three men left as quickly as they came.

Once the doors closed Lana grumbled, "Is it really alright to accept a bounty from people like them?"

"Money is money," Master Lanton smirked.

"That it is!" a new voice, thick and prideful, came from the staircase leading to the second floor. Showing himself was a short and round man. His clothes were finer than any Chloe had seen in the town so far and unlike the native wear, mimicked the designs of the central region that she was used to. At first she thought he may have been a dwarf but seeing the words that appeared about him, he was certainly human.

"Mr Bentz I see the jingle of coins has summoned you like usual," Lana scowled.

"That it has," the pompous man rubbed his hands and grinned. "And as you know all transactions of the guild must pay the city tax."

"Here," Master Lanton tossed him a bag of coins.

"Many thanks Mast-," Mr Bentz frowned as he tipped the bag in his hand only to find five silver pieces. He glared at the much larger bag the guild master still held. "By contract of the city lord the tax the guild must pay is 50%. I daresay that you are withholding-."