Chapter 7: How much do you know? (Part 2)

When Chloe opened her eyes it was already morning. She sprung out of her bed in a rush as she realised how much time had passed. Just how could she have slept so long? Not only did she miss her training but also failed to help out around the guild. Then the memories of what happened came back. The tears she had laid out in Mask's arms and the comfort he provided. Her cheeks began to redden in embarrassment.

"Good morning Chloe," the gentle words came from the table in their room. Mask sat in a chair, in front of him bread and steaming soup. "You must be hungry from missing so many meals."

Chloe's stomach grumbled and she tentatively sat opposite him where her own portion waited. She opened her mouth to speak but Mask beat her to it.

"Eat first then we can talk."

She nodded and took up her spoon quickly realising just how hungry she actually was. It didn't take long at all for all her food to vanish. Done, she looked up at Mask meekly.

"I-," again she was cut off.

"Don't you dare apologise," Mask smiled. "Everyone needs a break at times. It looks like you needed one more than most."

At first Chloe didn't know what to say but then from within her a puff of laughter broke her lips, "I guess I really did." She took a deep breath before speaking again, "So what happened yesterday?"

"I met up with some people who plan to fix the city. For now I'll stick to their plan and monitor how they go," Mask leaned back in his chair and folded his arms.

"Will the city lord still come after us?" Chloe's eyes focused on to him, more fierce than concerned.

"Ha," Mask let out sharply. "If he knows what's good for him he'll give up. By now he would have realised I took care of his two expert goons. He still has Rector and Articus but Articus won't leave his side and Rector, well he was a wild card to begin with."

"Rector....," Chloe thought about the man who had kidnapped her. Some people hid their Titles well, others showed it in their actions and Rector was exactly like that. The madness of his work and what he had done seeped into his voice and eyes. "I don't want to see him again."

"Hmm," Mask rubbed his chin beneath the mask. "That's unlikely."

"That I'll see him again?" Chloe asked hopefully.

"No the opposite. He may put two and two together and at the very least investigate who we really are. Unlike the city lord, he doesn't particularly care about the relation between the guild and city."

"So he's going to come after me?" she shivered.

A gentle hand plonked on top her head from across the table, "Don't worry. I've made sure to make plans. For now, stay in the guild and help out like usual. Okay?"

"Yes!" Chloe firmed herself. "I'm going to train." With that she bounded off the chair and moved behind the partition to get changed.

Mask smiled to himself and left the room.

**

"A package for you Mr Kane," Lana spotted Mask as he headed down the stairs. "It's directly from the Tilbury Merchant office. Did you order something?"

"You could say that," Mask took the box from Lana who stood behind the counter. He had to admit that the merchant acted quickly.

Lana stretched her arms and yawned, "Is Chloe alright?"