Chapter 6: Shifting. (Part 2)

The day continued with Chloe helping out the guild as usual. Despite last night nothing much had changed and if anything more people were using the guild's services. Their food supplies were holding on but as the cold became worse there was a higher demand for furs, wood and even medicine. The cycle of relying on adventurers to obtain the goods for the people and paying them in turn was reaching a tense point. There was simply not enough people who could brave the cold and wilderness beyond the walls and Chloe knew where many of those people had disappeared to.

Come noon Chloe headed to the yard to meet Master Lanton but seeing he wasn't there yet went to pick up her sword. Several curious pairs of eyes followed her movement. The children a few years older than her. They did the odd cleaning or delivery jobs for the guild and for the past few days had been following on with her practice. Each held a makeshift wooden sword and as Chloe swung they'd watch and do the same. Though she had become used to it, a divide had opened in her chest. Should she talk to them? Tell them what Mask told her? But she was also just a beginner, did she even have the right to? They were children of the city and she was... she was different.

"Hello!?" a loud knock pushed through to the yard coming from the closed door leading to the streets. The door pushed open to reveal a weathered man, his clothes simple and behind him a large cart. "Ah Chloe! Give me a hand would you? I found a larger cart for today's delivery but the cart is too big for this door."

"Mr Juis you should have known better," Chloe scolded the older man who was known for his clumsy mistakes.

"Haha, I thought it would make it easier but here I stand corrected." He looked to the children who were also lingering nearby. "All of you please help as well. We need to move these just to the storage house over there." He pointed to the other side of the training yard. "I'll make sure to treat you with some fresh fruit."

At those words the children sprang into action. Chloe hesitated as to help was technically crossing outside of the adventure's guild but seeing the other children go to help, she couldn't stand and do nothing. The cart was right outside the door and she'd only be stepping a few metres out. Like nothing was wrong Chloe moved to help with the boxes. Although small for her age, the last few weeks of a healthy diet and exercise had made Chloe much stronger and she carried the boxes with relative ease. Of course there were those she couldn't lift but the older children took care of that while helping each other.

Nothing strange happened and as the last few boxes were packed away Mr Juis pulled out a bag of fruits.

"Here you all are," he smiled as he gave out the fruit. His face however quickly turned to panic. "Oh dear, there's quite a few more of you than I expected. Chloe dear could you see if the cart has another bag?"

"Sure," Chloe nodded completely at ease as she headed to the back of the cart alone. It didn't take long for her to spot the fruit but as she picked it up she felt an odd tingling sensation against her back. It happened in an instant as at one moment she was reaching for the hempen bag and the next a hand had covered her mouth. Then the cart shot away as whoever had grabbed her dashed backwards and towards the alleyways of the city.

Chloe tried to scream for help, to struggle free, but her kidnapper's strength eclipsed hers easily. A sharp panic welled inside her chest. She was afraid. Not of the kidnappers, but what they would do to Mask with her as a hostage. All she needed to do was stay inside the guild and even that she had failed. The thought of disappointing her saviour split into her gut. Frustration, anger and fear filled her chest and as it peaked Chloe aimed at the only place she could. Her mouth snapped down right onto the hand that bound her.

"Yeoch," the feminine voice yelped as their grip loosened. It was all the time Chloe needed to react. Just like she had trained. One movement with all her body. The force Chloe exerted surprised her kidnapper as with an awkward tumble she escaped and fell to the snow covered ground of the alleyway.