Chapter 5: Interference (Part 4)

"A-are they going to try kill us?" Chloe had to ask as they left the mansion and Mask placed her back on the ground. The entire walk out, even she could feel the thick atmosphere demanding blood.

"Me, yes but not tonight. You, they'll probably try take you hostage to get to me," Mask spoke easily as if this were his every day.

"Then what do we do?" the only reason Chloe could remain calm was Mask's confidence beside her.

"Bait them into making a mistake," he smirked almost evilly. Chloe shivered despite the warm climate of the Upper district. Though she couldn't see through his wooden mask she had become very adapt at telling the emotions that would usually be shone.

She shook herself, "Should I tell you what I saw?"

"Before that let me guess. In total there were four expert grades within the room. Your three friends and the knight behind the city lord. The rest of them all had Practitioners of Martial Arts and some most likely Adventuring Expert."

"Ah-." Chloe huffed, "What was the point of me coming then?"

"Because for the most part, that's where my analysis ends." Mask patted Chloe's head, "Your eyes allow you to see much more. For example, did you see anyone there with Practitioner of Magic?"

Chloe shook her head immediately, "Nope. They didn't look like the magic type either."

"Well neither do I," Mask laughed. "That's good. The amount of times I've avoided death by surprising people with magical abilities is quite numerous. I'd hate for someone to do the same to me. What else can you tell me?"

"My kidnappers, the big one Lars Duntoff, he had the title One who Cleaves and Strike Expert. The thin one Migter Aren, had Poison Artist and Strike Expert. The mohawked man Rector Reece, he had Whip Master, Assassin, Flare Expert, Poison Artist and Mass Murderer." Chloe frowned, remembering the glare he had shown her when her eyes passed him over, "He seemed like the most dangerous."

"Yes out of the three I would agree. And to have a Master Title for a weapon is an incredible feat. He's definitely going to be trouble."

Chloe nodded in agreement, "But the armoured man, he seemed stronger. He didn't have any nasty titles but he had Expert in all three Martial Arts and Weapon Master."

"Ah yes, I actually already knew about him. Articus Fen, the triple Expert, he's someone you could say to be an existence at the peak of an Expert. He's somewhat similar to me that he wasn't able to step in the domain of a true Master, but he's skills in some aspects eclipse them."

"Then why isn't he a Master?" Chloe asked.

Mask chuckled, "The condition to become a Master is a bit tricky. It involves unlocking your attribute."

"I've read about those before in. They're like unique powers right?" Chloe's curiosity had been triggered.

"Yes and no," he scratched his head. "An attribute is the concept that defines your soul and body. There are simpler ones such as fire or water but then there are much conceptual ones such as, dust or even loyalty. Each person's attribute is unique to them. While many people have fire or heat related attributes, the exact properties would differ."

Chloe clapped her hands, "Can I unlock mine?"

"You may just have a better chance than me," Mask smiled softly and gently pressed her head. "There is no set way to find your attribute, some meditate, some battle, others just stumble across it and there are those that are born knowing. Your attribute however is also a somewhat scary existence."

Chloe waited for Mask to continue speaking but as his pause lingered she asked, "Why?"

"Because it defines a part of you. Once you unlock it, all your magic, techniques and even how you take day to day life is influenced by it. It's not something ordinary people seek out in most cases."

"Ah...," Chloe understood. If her attribute was actually something scary like war or death, just how would that change her? And knowing who she was... the thought caused her to stiffen.

Mask's hand removed itself from her head only for it to suddenly scoop her up into his arms, "But that's not something you should worry about yet. Focus on doing your practice. Focus on one day returning home. We're almost out of here. Now was there anything else about Articus?"

Chloe paused in thought, "He had the Avid Gardener Title. It was a bit odd."

"Really now? That's actually quite helpful."

"Is it?" Chloe didn't quite believe him.

"The Avid prefix usually donates a hobby rather than a job in regards to Titles. Hobbies can be exploited. Though knowing how he fights and his strengths help, for Articus I need to be more creative. Good job Chloe."

The small girl smiled, happy that she could be helpful.

They had reached the large closed double doors that led back to the Market district. Though it was warm and comfortable in the Upper district, Chloe was relieved to leave.

"Leaving so soon?" one of the guards who had been guarding the door earlier approached them.

"Yes, this place just isn't for us," Mask replied.

The guard laughed, "I understand what you mean. Actually I was hoping you wouldn't stay. My brother and his family owe you a lot. Trin is his name, he says you saved his life the other day."

Mask shook his head, "I simply stopped him from falling out a tree."

"Perhaps, but when there's a timber wolf below the tree it makes quite the difference." The guard reached out his hand, "I'm Prin."

"Nice to meet you Prin," Mask shook his hand.

"Hopefully we can meet again soon," Prin moved away and opened the door, waving as they left.

On the other side Mask revealed the small piece of paper that had been slipped to him. He held it up so Chloe could see.

"Well, looks like we're entering the next stage."