Chapter 10: Her story. (Part 1)

"H-how did it go?" Chloe jumped up from her bed as soon as Mask entered their room. She was concerned for the city and what was happening, but there was also apprehension aimed at herself.

"The monsters have been put down," Mask answered and took off his coat. "As for Rector, I made sure to get rid of his body."

The small girl looked down, "Those monsters... he released them to get to me."

"Partly yes," Mask kneeled down next to her, "but you have no fault. Besides, even if he didn't realise it, he was already playing on the palm of someone else."

"What do you mean?"

"Our dear Paladin is planting his schemes. Tomorrow there will be a shift of power in the city." He sighed, "Chloe, I will need to do things that no good person would. When that happens-."

"I know you'll do it for good reasons," Chloe interrupted him and firmly pressed her will. "I can see your Titles, I know what you've done but I also know why you do it."

Mask couldn't help but chuckle, "Your eyes and demeanour really do surpass your age."

Chloe flinched at his words, a shiver catching on to her body, "Aren't you going to ask why? You heard what Rector said..., I'm a freak."

"Even if you were an Alien, you wouldn't be a freak," he smiled sincerely. "Though I haven't seen your Titles, I know your heart and actions are in the right place."

Chloe's face could barely hold in her emotions, as her brave expression threatened to cry for reasons she couldn't quite tell, "But-You-I.... What if I really was an Alien?"

Mask widened his eyes, "That would be a first for me."

The young girl laughed bitterly at his casual response, "I'm not joking. An alien is something from another world, a foreigner.... I'm the most foreign thing to this place and- and I'm afraid to tell you." She sniffed her tears, trying to hold together, "I don't want you to hate me."

"Chloe...," Mask reached over to comfort her but she backed away.

"No! You don't understand. You keep treating me like I'm a child. That I'm only 8 years old, that I deserve your care." She grit her teeth knowing it was too late to stop but wanting to nonetheless. "I lied. I'm not 8. I lived an entire other life than this one. I'm older, so much older.... I should be 21."

Mask said nothing and simply stayed calm, waiting for the supposed older girl to be ready.

"I reincarnated in this world," her eyes began to tear up. "From the day I was born I was already different, a freak, but I hid it all. I thought I could be smarter, do better! But no! I'm an idiot that can barely use magic or study. My younger brother and sister, their normal and yet- and yet they can do everything. Despite all my memories, all that I thought I experienced, I'm useless." She rubbed her eyes, trying to still the flow. "I lied to you. I took everything you gave me despite being so old."

"You didn't lie to me Chloe," Mask began simply.

"But I-."

"No," he shook his head. "What you did was keep a secret. Do you think I've lied to you?"

She slowly shook her head, "No."

"Well I have actually but more than that I've also kept a lot of secrets. Do you hate me for it?"