Resurrection-Bounty

Two Months Later...

"Fucking bitch." Brooklyn says under her breath as the three of you hide in a storm drain. You can hear people yelling in the distance.

"Are you alright?" You ask her.

"For now." She looks at her left arm, pulling her hand away for a second. "I don't think she cut me that deep."

"Are you alright?" You turn to Marina.

"Yes." She's holding a knife up, staring at the entrance.

"We've gotta move. They'll find us in here." You step toward the entrance and look around. You can see lights in the distance, which tells you they took the bait and went in the other direction. "Let's go."

-

"Fuck you." Brooklyn raises her voice.

"Shut up. I had to clean it." You pull a needle out of your bag and start threading some string through the end of it. "This is deeper than you said it was." It took a while for you to stop the bleeding from the wound on her arm. Some woman sliced her when Brooklyn wasn't looking. You put a knife in the back of the woman's head.

"I know." She looks at it. "I should have been paying attention."

"You couldn't have known they were going to attack us." You tell her as you get ready to start suturing her wound. You stopped at a community to make a deal for supplies. They tricked you into following them deeper into the community with the promise of food and water. You were watching, but they still got the drop on you.

"We need to talk about that." She says between winces.

You look back at Marina, sitting in the window, watching the street outside. She won't hear you. "Quietly."

"We've got to deal with William. That's not going to be the only community that attacks because of him." She punches the table on her right. You accidentally pushed the needle too deep.

"What are we supposed to do?" You pull the string through her arm one last time and throw the needle into a garbage can. "We can't just go attack him." You pull a bandage out of your bag.

"I can."

You shake your head. "Stop talking if that's all you're going to suggest."

"We can't just keep running. We won't last. Either someone will catch us, or we'll run out of supplies and die." She's brought it up several times over the past couple of months. You shoot her down every time.

"And what happens if you go and die? All that would do is make it harder on Marina and me." You finish wrapping the bandage around her arm and move your chair so that you're sitting in front of her. "We just need to keep going. That's all we can do for now. We could head west. Go all the way to the coast. I doubt he'd chase us that far."

"It'd get too hot on the trip through central US, and we'd run out of water." She checks the bandage on her arm.

"Then we don't have anything to talk about right now. We can talk about it when you come up with a better idea than getting yourself killed." You start to leave, and she grabs your wrist.

"I'm just trying to help." She lets go when she's got your attention again. "At this rate, we're all going to die."

"Then we'll die. But you're not dying for us." You walk away and join Marina by the window. You sit down beside her and look out. Walkers are coming out of their holes right now. Probably disturbed by your entrance to the town. It wasn't too loud, but you made noise. They don't know you're in here yet. "How are you doing?"