017

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN: "Josephine Maybank

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN:
"Josephine Maybank."
✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

     JESSE James Maybank didn't have many regrets. But he's almost certain that he's made the biggest one of his life. And no, it wasn't his idea to get transportation to get to South America by smuggling drugs. He'd do it again if he truly thought this would be easy and it would have worked. He didn't regret that at all, because he'd do anything for John B.

No, his biggest regret was letting the best thing that ever happened to him go so easily. Theadosia Copeland was the best fucking thing that he's ever had in his life.

And he royally fucked it up with her.

Here's the thing about Jesse Maybank, he's been cursed since the day his mother pushed his big blonde head of hair out of her. It was simple, the moment he was born a Maybank he already had his entire life laid out infront of him.

There was no if's and's or but's about it, he would either A. Be a thief and end up locked in jail for the rest of his life. Or B. Die from an accidental drug overdose, or alcohol poisoning.

And while he didn't dare touch pills like his father did, he did have too much beer from time to time to drown out the demons in his head. So, there was still time for that. Not to mention, he still hasn't paid off his restitution, so he still had that hanging over his head like storm cloud pelting him with hail and heavy rainfall.

But even before all this shit happened, as a kid he had dreams that he would prove everyone wrong, to show everyone that he could be more that just some worthless thief. And the one person who believed in him the most? His mom.

Josephine Maybank.

JJ was a natural born showman, and he was also incredibly persuasive. He could get anyone to believe what he said at the ripe age of 4 years old, if he wanted to convince you of something then all he had to do was batter those delicate lashes and flash you a childish smile and he'd have you eating right out of the palm of his hand.

His mom always told him that he would make a good salesman, and he told her that he wanted to sell boats. So that was his dream, start his own company and be a boats salesman. And when he wasn't selling he would be giving tourists tours around the island and showing all the bright spots of the OBX.

And his mom believed every word, and promised him that she would be there for him to see and make sure that dream of his came true.

His mom was his best friend, she was the light of his otherwise dark life. She was a kind soul with a heart of pure gold, but as the years passed he could tell that light inside of her had started to dim increasingly.