006

CHAPTER SIX: "Beyond Grounded

CHAPTER SIX:
"Beyond Grounded."
✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

          THE pogues had a long journey back to OBX from the Caribbean, and Thea was asleep on the lounge couch for most of it. When she awoke the next morning she noticed that they were no longer in the ocean, but were cruising along the familiar stream that she knew as the Marsh. The sun was beginning to peak out of the horizon, the sky was a mix of orange and pink, and the clouds were scattered beautifully.

It was a beautiful sunrise, but it was nothing compared to being back in Poguelandia with JJ. Staying up at the crack of dawn, watching the sun come up, while the Caribbean waves lightly nips at their feet in the sand.

She didn't know if anything could compare to Poguelandia, it was truly paradise, and she missed it so much already. The thought of coming back home scared her absolutely shitless, she didn't want anything to change, and she's trying to convince herself that nothing will. But deep down there was this gut feeling, telling her that shit was about to really hit the fan once they're back.

She was back behind the wheel when they got to Kildare county, and per Sarah's request she dropped her off at John B's port and headed towards the territory of Figure Eight. Kie had told her that she wants to get home first, apparently she wanted to rip off the band-aid and accept her fate. Thea of didn't argue, but that was probably because she wasn't quite ready to see and face her mom just yet.

Mostly because... she was gonna be absolutely livid.

She pulled up to the dock in Kie's neighborhood, and she parks the vessel there and pulls the keys out. She twirls the keys around her finger as she heads off the yacht, and she and the fellow Pogues abandon ship and make their way onto the pier.

"Welcome to the Outer Banks, Cleo." Pope declares kindly.

"You're crazy, Pope." Cleo replied, shaking her head at the boy with her arms curled around herself. "Your parents are not going to appreciate me shacking up."

"Of course they will." Pope insisted, "Are you kidding? Heyward might put you to work, but we could always use the extra help."

"I don't know, man." Cleo's glanced back at Pope, with an unsure look set on her features. "You sure?"

"Yeah," Pope nodded, "he might squawk a little bit, but let me talk to him." He placed his hand upon her shoulder encouragingly, "We'll figure it out." He assured her.

" Pope's right." Thea inserted, "I think Heyward might like you."

Cleo quirked a brow at her, "And how do you know that? Hm?"