016

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:"What Is This, Spider-Man?"✦

CHAPTER SIXTEEN:
"What Is This, Spider-Man?"
✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

AFTER driving in what seemed like the middle of nowhere to her, John B pulled up to an open acred area after JJ told him to stop there. He pulled the keys from the ignition and killed the engine, then the trio began to climb out of the Twinkie. As Thea closed the sliding door closed and joined the two boys she got a bad feeling in her stomach, she wasn't sure about this plan at all, but she knew it was entirely too late to back out.

She was just along for the ride now.

"I--I don't know about this." John B muttered, a look of panic set on his face.

"I have to say, I agree." Thea nibbled her lower lip as they approached tall and rusted black gates. "I have a really bad feeling about this, Jay."

"You guys are worrying way too much about this, okay?" JJ said, brushing off their worries and anxieties about this terrible plan, "It is just farmers who brought organic seeds from South America that we are gonna unload."

"Seeds?" Thea scoffs, folding her arms over her chest. "I think you mean drugs."

"Say it like it is, it's a drug smuggling operation." John B points out.

JJ shoots him an exasperated look, "Do you wanna get your dad or not?"

"Yes, I do! Okay?" John B hastily spits out, clearly overly stressed by everything that's happened in the last 72 hours. "Look, this has to work out, all right? I doubted him, and I blamed him. And all this time, he was just trying to protect me. And now he's been abducted, so I kind need a bit of a--"

"John B, no!" JJ grips onto his shoulders, forcing him to fall silent and look him in the eyes. "Okay, listen, listen. I know." He assured him confidently, "You know who you're gonna have to trust right now? Papa J." Thea's nose wrinkled in disgust, ew. "Okay? I got this, 100%."

"I mean 60% would be good, honestly." John muttered as he trailed after him.

"Jay, do me a favor and never refer to yourself as "Papa J." ever again."

JJ frowns back at her in faux offence, "What's wrong with the name Papa J?"

Thea shot him a disturbed look, "What isn't wrong with the name?"

"Well, now that you expressed your hatred for it, I'm gonna use it all the time." He grins in mischief, "Thanks for that, shortcake."

"You're such a menace." Thea shot back teasingly.

"Yeah, but you love it." JJ grins, then he sends her a cheeky wink.

Thea rolled her eyes at him before casting them to the ground, she could feel her skin heating up as the rush of crimson creeped along her neck to her face. This felt familiar, her cheeky and playful banter with him. For a moment it felt like they were back on the island, laughing and flirting with eachother without a care in the world.