014

CHAPTER FOURTEEN: "We Save Ourselves

CHAPTER FOURTEEN:
"We Save Ourselves."
✦ .  ⁺   . ✦ .  ⁺   . ✦

THEA'S shift ended at 1:30 today, so when the time came she hugged her mom goodbye and told her she'd see her later. With a to-go bag in her hand with a grilled cheese inside that her mom made for her, she makes her way to the backroom and clocked out on the iPad. She picks up her skateboard and leaves the backroom, and as she goes she holds up a lazy peace sign to Mike as she walks around the counter.

"Enjoy the rest of your day, Thea." Mike calls to her kindly.

She spins on her heel and smiles as she walks backwards, "You too, Mike. And by the way, take this grilled cheese out of my paycheck, will ya?"

"On the house, kiddo." Mike replied generously.

She grins as she pushes back on the door behind her, "You're a godsend, Mr. Carrera."

The door gives way as she backed up and she spins forward as she heads down the ramp, the second she gets back to horizontal ground she drops her board to the pavement and pulls out the grilled cheese from the bag. She folds the white paper bag into her pocket and hops on the board as she takes a bite of the cheesy sandwich, then she kicks her foot back and skates down the sidewalk with a set destination in mind.

The chateau.

JJ told her the other night to come there to let him and John B know whether she could come to South America with them, and well, she had good news so she might as well go now. On her journey to John B's house she finished half her grilled cheese, then she stopped riding so she could put the other half back in the bag. She makes a quick stop to her house to grab her mini backpack to put the sandwich inside, then she heads down the block to John B's.

Upon arrival she picked up the board and walked up the house, she goes up the porch steps and walks through the screen door that was already wide open. John B was stood up, and by the look on his face she could tell he was in the middle of some kind of monologue, and JJ was simply listening as he laid back on the couch.

"Hey, T." John B smiled at her.

"Hey, Thea." JJ mumbled, looking as if he just woke up.

"Hey, boys." She greets them, walking over to the couch JJ's laying on and sitting on the arm. "What's going on?"

"Nothing much." JJ shrugged, "Just John B forcing me to listen to him as he relives last night's bullshit with Topper."

John B shakes his head, "I can't get that smug look out of my head." He walks over and takes Thea's skateboard, then he placed it down and kicked a foot behind him as he rolls on the porch pavement. "It's just something about that dude's face, you know?"