🥴Chap.4: A mother's struggles pt.2🥴

As Ireshi slept on my back, kept on by the baby carrier, in one hand I pulled behind me all our stuff piled on the suitcase and in the other texted one of the workers of the shelter to ask if there was a place for a bunch of days

I knew eventually we would have been back on the streets, but I didn't thought so soon. Hopefully we would have at least had a place to stay. My day didn't seem to get any better once I read the answer the shelter worker gave me.

"I'm so sorry Lalisa, we're full. But I'm sure that in a couple of days we'll have some space. You could try another shelter a couple of hours by walking from us. It's called "Open Arms: homeless shelter". I'll leave you the contact for a friend of mine who works there. Tell her I gave you her number.

☏ 0XX-XXX-XXXX "

I sighed but still wanting to try my luck, I texted the number. I would have walked all that was needed if it meant Ireshi would have had a safe, warm space to sleep.
And while I waited for the answer, I kept walking towards the Hope shelter, if I was lucky I would have still had to walk past there probably. A strong wind suddenly started blowing as drops of rain quickly followed.

Fuck this crazy weather. This was the last thing I needed. Hopefully it won't snow. Winter is near and I'm definitely not ready for it.

I could feel Ireshi starting to whine and wake up, probably due to the cold, so I stopped and somehow without completely waking her up, managed to remove my jacket, swinging it on my back and over my baby, who quickly went back to fully sleep, for then tying it the best I could so it wouldn't fall. In the meantime I grabbed our only umbrella who had a couple of holes and opened it, putting the less broken part over her as I kept the side with more holes. I resumed our journey, reading the text that had finally came and I smiled. They had a place. One bed. My baby could sleep comfortably. With this new information, I thanked her and smiled, speeding my walking as I coughed and shivered.

Gosh, hopefully I'm not getting more sick than I already am.

Since my adventure here started 3 years ago, I've been sick way too many times but always pushed through for Ireshi's good and eventually recovered. But this time, it was already a month that I was feeling weak, nauseous, dizzy, my skin was blue-ish in some places and basically I was all over the place, but I couldn't give it a thought as Ireshi needed my full attention. I coughed again, this time more strongly as I tried to take deep breaths but my chest was hurting a little too much. I stopped and after some minutes I seemed to calm down. I resumed my walk and tried my best to fight whatever was happening to my body, which in that moment seemed to be on the verge of giving up on me. But I couldn't allow it.

---

I smiled as I read the sign on the building "Open Arms: Homeless Shelter"; we were finally there. Although it was 2 a.m. I was too happy to care about how late it was and how tired I was.
I went inside and looked around for someone, suddenly from under the front desk popped a young girl, whining about not being able to find something, once she saw me she smiled «Hi! How may I help you?»
I coughed a little and said «Uhm, I'm Lalisa... I was sent here by a woman from the Hope shelter...»
Her eyes widened as she seemed to recall something «Oh right! The girl Tiffany sent! Hi, I'm Hyuna, nice to meet you.»
I nodded «Likewise. Uhm, I'm sorry if I'm not gonna make small talk but I really need to lay down Ireshi and rest my back.»
She looked at the child on my back and gave me a warm smile «Sure. Hey didn't you have a blanket or something? You're really risking your health with this crazy weather.»
I shrugged «I do, but it's too big and uncomfortable to put on her. And my jacket is heavier so she can be warmer.»
She shrugged «You're the mom. Follow me please, I'll lead you to your room. I'm sorry we only have a bed.»
I shook my head «It's fine, we can share it. We aren't that big. And we're used to it. I honestly don't even need a bed. It's for my baby, she's more comfortable and feels safer. The streets haven't been nice to us.»
«Did you spend a lot of time on the streets?»
I pursed my lips at the memory «More than you think. More than Ireshi can think...»