my lover

When I opened the door, Kindon was already standing there, cleaning a plate.

"Hey there. I'm glad you came.", I said to get his attention.

He spun around and smiled when he saw me.

"Oh, hi, darling.", Kindon joked, referring to the little lover story we had to make up yesterday. I cringed a little at the memory of it, but I didn't think anything wrong with his joke.
-Unlike Anakin.

He quickly stepped in front of me, so that I disappeared behind his tall frame and I was blocked from Kindon's vision.

"She isn't your darling.", Anakin said in a threatening voice and I could only imagine how he probably put on his intimidating death stare that he had used on me many times before.

"I assume... you must be Anakin. I was just joking, man, I'm sorry. Didn't know you two were a couple.", Kindon said.

Finally I managed to squeeze past Anakin who had been trying to hold me back.

"Nonsense, we aren't dating or anything.", I quickly interfered, shooting Anakin a look. His jaw muscles were flexing, but I quickly turned my head away from him and continued speaking.
"I'm really sorry, it's just that Anakin hasn't been feeling well all morning and now he's very exhausted from work. You know how that can get to one's nerves...", I apologised to Kindon, hoping he would buy my excuses. The whole situation was embarrassing, really. Anakin was embarrassing! But he wasn't nearly done with behaving that way.

"Nope. I'm perfectly fine, Y/N. Couldn't be any better, to tell you the truth. But I don't know if I can say the same thing about this guy here-", he nodded his head toward Kindon, "-once he's done explaining that 'joke' of his to me. I'd love know what's so funny about calling you darling."

"Anakin! Stop it!"

"It's fine, Y/N.", Kindon spoke up, "I guess he's right, we don't know each other yet, so I shouldn't have called you that."

I really appreciated the fact that Kindon didn't respond to Anakin's stupid provocation, but it just didn't feel right for him to accept the role of the evil that Anakin had ascribed to him.

"Don't apologise Kindon. I really didn't mind it. Other people have called me a lot more awkward things...", I made sure that Anakin caught my eyes.
"And now let's put this all behind us and get down to business."

"I think that's a good idea.", Kindon agreed and put down the cup he was holding.

Anakin on the other side didn't say a word and just stood there with a scowl on his face and his arms crossed in front of his chest. He looked like a pouty little toddler. But I didn't care. If he hated this situation so much, he could just leave. It wasn't as if his presence was required here anyways.

"So... do you have the...uhm...", I was looking for a word other than lightsaber, just in case someone was close by and overhearing the conversation. "the... sticks?"

A grin formed on Kindon's face, exposing his perfect teeth.
"The sticks. Yeah, I do have them."

"Awesome. And where do you have them?"

"I cannot tell you that.", Kindon said.

Anakin caught my attention, when he pushed himself off the wall he had been leaning against and made a step toward Kindon.
"And why would that be?", he said and his blue eyes were sparkling dangerously. I quickly grabbed the fabric of his top and tried pulling Anakin back to de-escalate the situation.

"I just can't. You cannot know, I'm sorry.", Kindon replied and I believed him.

"That's fine. As long as we will get the... sticks eventually. But rather sooner than later, of course.", I said.