making you see

"Thank you for telling me, Anakin.", I said finally, giving him a shy smile which he more than gladly returned.

"Thank you for making me tell you, Y/N."

We sat opposite each other for a moment longer, just silently enjoying each other's company- Anakin looked like he was in pure bliss the way his eyes were fixed on me dreamily, and I was just relieved at how the conversation had turned out and how Anakin's dramatic forecast of a disaster hadn't proven itself true.
But no matter how infectious Anakin's stupid grin was and how relieved I felt, I just couldn't deny the exhaustion in me which resulted from the nerve wrecking past hours.
So, I decided it was time to call it a night.

"Alright, master Skywalker", I teased, "I think it's time for me to head over to my room now."

"...Huh?"

"Did you even listen?", I had to laugh at the confused look on Anakin's face "I said that I was going back to my room."

"But why?", he asked surprised.

"Well, according to the clock on your nightstand it's 3:17 in the morning and I'd like to get at least a few hours of sleep in before training starts again at 8."

"Just sleep here then.", he smirked and his large hand patted the pillow next to him.
"I will personally make sure you'll have the best sleep ever. All nice 'n warm 'n cozy. And you know, when I promise something, I deliver."

"And I'm sure you'd do your best- but no, I think I'd rather sleep in my own room tonight. Someone could see me leaving your room in the morning and get crazy ideas... And besides, I really think I could use some distance from you, Anakin, no offense. But I just need some alone time to figure out how I truly feel about all this- how I feel about you."

The smile on Anakin's face dropped.
"Well, how do you feel about me right now? You haven't really said anything yet, I just realised."

He was right, I hadn't said anything yet. But it also wasn't easy to make up your mind about something as complex as this- only minutes after the person you always thought hated you, declared their love for you. Completely out of the blue.

"I don't know, Anakin. I mean, I don't despise you. I think that has become rather obvious... But you can't expect me to be able to just forget about all the lows of the past years as your padawan with the snap of a finger and just because you suddenly say that you, well... love me. But as I've said, I need to figure this out. So please give me the time to do so."

Anakin swallowed, I could tell by the movement of his adam's apple.

"I understand.", he then said quietly after a short moment. The initial euphoria in him had clearly worn off.

"Thank you.", I gave him a little smile and then moved to the edge of the bed to get up. Anakin got up, too, and followed me to the door.

"Good night, Anakin. See you tomorrow at 8.", I said with my finger on the button to open the door.
But before I got to actually press it down, Anakin gently wrapped his hand around my wrist, stopping my movements. Surprised, I looked up into his face.

"I know I can't change the past, but from this day on I will do anything that's in my power to make up for how I've treated you, Y/N. To prove you that I care. And I just know there is undeniably something between us and I will make you see it, too."
Then he let go of my wrist and took a step back.
"Good night, Y/N."

"Night.", I quickly said and then hurried out of his room as fast as I could. Now that was intense.

The first thing I did after having closed the door of my own room, was taking a really deep breath.
My heart was beating unnaturally fast and I just felt dizzy and tired. I couldn't even bother to change my clothes and so I simply let myself fall onto my bed and was fast asleep in less than a minute.