chapter 47 || ending our journey

published : february 15th, 2023

I joined the rest of my friends around the campfire. Gally seemed to be joking around with Aris and Jorge as the rest of us shared memories.

"Remember when Thomas asked questions every 5 minutes" Minho said through a mouthful of food.

"Of course I do, he talked my ear off all day" I said as I leaned my head onto Newt's arm.

The rest of them continued to joke around as I watched, mesmerized by the fire. It was peaceful, like the bonfires we would have once every month when a new Greenie would come into the Glade.

Kids around us played as Vince tried his best to keep them in check. There was one thing missing. Teresa.

I noticed her off tot he side once again, watching the fire from the other side of the benches. I stood up suddenly, walking to the brunette.

"Hey" I said as I sat down beside her.

She looked stunned that I had been next to her.

"Hi" She replied, her voice coming out softly.

"Thank you, for helping me and Newt" I said as I grabbed her hand, wrapping it in mine. "I'm really grateful for you"

"No, no, you saved my life. Even after I betrayed you. I should be thanking you" Teresa said as she gave me a small laugh.

"Come hang out with us, yeah?" asked.

"Are you sure? I don't want them to be mad at me" She said.

"No, it's fine. They don't trust you fully, but I promise if you talk, it'll be much better" I said reassuringly. She nodded slowly, following after me towards the group.

They all looked at me strangely as I walked over with Teresa. I took my seat beside Newt.

- - - - 

Everyone had gone off to bed, but I stayed, watching the fire burn out slowly. Thoughts raced my mind. Being stuck in the maze felt like it was a few days ago, but as reality hits, I realize just how far all of us had made it.

"Y/N?" Someone spoke from behind me in the shadows. 

I snapped my head backwards to be met with Newt, walking slowly into the light.

"Oh, hi Newt" I said.

"What are you doing up, Love?" He asked as he sat beside me.

"Just thinking" I replied.

"About?"

"The Glade. Your letter. Us." I said as I looked at him. "What are we, Newt?"

"Well, whatever you want us to be. We don't have to be anything if you don't want us to" Newt said as he looked into my eyes.

"I want to be with you" 

- - - - 

Free. We were free. Because, finally the walls went down, and we were able to run to wherever we wanted. We were away from Wicked. Away from our only place that we called home, but was it really a home if the Safe Haven feels more like where we belong?

The sun was rising along the beach as I watched it, sitting with my friends. This was what I imagined when I thought of the Safe Haven. This is what I imagined my life after escaping the maze. This is what I imagined the word 'free' being.

The End