chapter 28 || let it sink in

Horror stuck onto my face. We didn't have Minho. We didn't have anyone really. Minho was with Wicked, and so was Aris and Sonya. Teresa sided with Wicked. And Mary was dead. 

How could Teresa do this to us? It just played in my mind constantly. We all went to bed almost as soon as we did a head count, all of us too tired to do anything else. 

I couldn't sleep. I tossed and turned in my bed. I could've been Minho. It could've been me instead of him. Why did Newt have to pull me away from Wicked first? Why couldn't he go for Minho.

I got up from the ground, walking out into the cold Scorched air. It wasn't windy, but it also wasn't humid. A silhouette of a boy stuck out in the darkness.

"Newt? What are you doing up?" I whisper shouted to the boy. He snapped his head back to look at me, startled by the sudden noise.

"Oh, Y/N. You almost gave me a bloody heart attack" He said giving me a weak laugh.

I sat down beside him staring into nothingness. "Oh gosh, I'm sorry. What are you doing up now?" I asked playfully.

"Thinking" He replied.

"About, Minho?" I questioned. He nodded slightly.

"We'll get him back, I promise." I said reassuringly as I placed my head on his shoulder. He looked down at me, an eyebrow slightly raised.

"Are you sure?" He asked, worry laced his voice.

"I'm positive" 

I felt the blonds gaze on me for longer, before he looked away back into the abyss.

"You trust me, yes?" I asked.

"Of course I do, Y/N" 

"Then trust me when I say, we'll get him out"

- - - -

We sat around the rest of the debris from the night before. A small fire was lit, and all of us looked tired. The sun seemed to not want to come out today, as the sky shown only clouds that were grey, almost like it was going to rain.

"What do we do now?" I spoke up to the group, turning my attention to Vince as he seemed like the leader.

"We pick up what's left of us. We stick to the plan and get you kids to the Safe Haven, then we start over I guess." He replied simply with no emotion.

"Well what about Minho?" I asked. 

"He's with Wicked now, I'm sorry Y/N" Vince said to me.

"Well, then I'm not going with you." I stared into his brown eyes, making sure I got my point through.

"What?" Vince asked as a small laugh left his lips.

"I made a promise to Minho, we all did. We wouldn't leave him behind. I need to go after him" I said, standing up.

"Hey, look around, Wicked just kicked your ass. You're not going to fight them off to get Minho" Vince scoffed.

"Yeah, and I'm not asking anyone to come with me. But I'm getting Minho and that's that." 

Yes, I could be stubborn like Teresa. There are times where I was hard headed and believed what I was doing was better than what the other person was doing.

"Y/N, listen to me-" Vince begun, only to be interrupted by Newt.

"Love, I've known Minho, for well, as long as I can remember" Newt begun. "So if there was any possible way that we could help him, trust me, I'd be standing up next to you... What you're asking is impossible"

I stared at Newt as my mouth fell open slightly. 

"More like suicide" Jorge muttered

"C'mon Newt! He's your bestfriend and you're going to let Wicked kill him?" I asked, my voice raising.

"No, Y/N, I just don't want you or us to get hurt. We can't save him if we're injured or if we have the Flare." Newt argued, but still keeping his voice calm. I let out an angered groan.

"Yeah, maybe we will get the Flare, maybe this is impossible, but it's not just about Minho, it's about all of us and everyone else Wicked has taken. They won't stop, not if we just sit here." I said to the group. 

All of them looked up to me. Newt had a slight smile on his face. My heart fluttered slightly as we made eye contact, neither of us broke it.

"I have to admit... I'd like some revenge" Harriet said with a smirk as she patted me on the back. 

Vince looked up at me, I could see his mind working as the cogs shifted in his brain.

"You did a darn good speech, kid" He said with a smile. "So what's your plan?"

My face lit up. We were going to save Minho, and Aris, and Sonya.

As soon as our little meeting ended, I quickly made my way up to a tent, it had mapping supplies, and almost everything. This was it, this was the end of it. We were so close to home.

A/N : SHORT CHAPTER BECAUSE I'M TIRED AF BUT I WANTED TO FINISH THE SCORCHED PART. anywho i hope you enjoyed! more newt will come soon!