chapter 2 || not the right job

The party or bonfire had begun. I still was curious about almost everything, but continued to ignore it.

I sat myself behind a log, letting my back rest against it as I looked at the stone covered walls. New questions pondered through my mind. What's behind those walls? Why can't I get out?

Those thoughts were quickly broken up by a light pat on my shoulder.

I looked up from my spot as I was met with dark brown eyes and a toothy grin.

"Oh hi" I said, continuing the eye contact.

"Mind if I sit down?" Newt asked me, gesturing towards the floor.

I scooted over, a sign that he was welcome to sit down. The boy was holding a meat kebab and what seemed to be a jar of brownish murky liquid?

"Here try some" He said, staring off into the Glade as he handed me the jar.

"What is it?" I curiously asked the boy.

"I don't know really, It's Gally's secret recipe. All I know is it helps calm me down sometimes, try it" Newt said, motioning for me to take a sip.

I reluctantly took a rather large swig, spitting it out as soon as it touched my tongue. Newt laughed as he watched me spit it out. Y/N The name spun in my head. My name is Y/N!

"My name is Y/N." I said aloud quietly.

"What?" Newt asked. God his british accent had spoken through clearly.

"My name is Y/N" I said louder.

"You remembered your name! That's amazing, most of the greenies take a full week to remember their names" He said, lightly patting my back.

"Newt, can I ask you some questions?" I asked, breaking the small amount of silence that we had.

"Yeah, ask away" He replied, this time he had his body facing towards me.

Another set of footsteps came in before I could say anything. The Asian boy sat down next to Newt. He had hair that stuck up, even in these conditions?

"Oh Y/N, this is Minho, keeper of the runners" Newt said to me.

Minho had hair that shucking defied gravity. It stuck up 24/7, even if he was sweating.

"Okay, can you guys answer my questions now?" I asked the two.

"Yeah ask away" Minho said, positioning himself so he was comfortable.

"What's behind those walls?" I asked curiously.

"A maze. Grievers. Your death wish" Minho stated.

"Grievers? A death wish?" I questioned.

"Grievers are creatures that the creators put in here, don't worry, they only come out at night and they're stuck behind those doors, they can't get you from here" Newt said with a soft smile.

"The maze changes every night though, so that clicking and gear changing you hear is the maze" Minho added in.

I nodded to the two. This was a lot to take in for my first day.

"How long have you two been here for?" I asked.

"Two years." Minho said quietly.

I was surprised. They've been in here for two years?

"We all have been through the same thing. Not knowing who we are, where we came from, or what our past is." Newt added.

I felt sorry for the 2, and the group of boys that have been here. It amazed me how long they've been here for.