chapter 30 || sneaking

Vince, Brenda, Newt, Fry, and I all surrounded a table as we tried to think of a new plan. It was night by now, so almost all the kids were in their hammocks or conversing in their huts. We were grateful we had Sonya and Aris back, but we would've been happier if we had Sonya, Aris, and Minho.

Thomas barged into the conference room as he held a paper map in his hand. He slammed it down onto the table, pointing right into the center of it.

"That's it. That's where we're headed" Thomas said out of breath. "It's a few hundred miles, but based on the railways and everything Aris has told us, that has to be the place they're headed." 

"That's where they're taking, Minho" I muttered, loud enough for everyone to hear.

"We take everyone that can fight" Thomas spoke. "We can make it back in a week"

"A week? We've planned this first excursion for six months, Thomas! Six months to get this far. And now we have 100 something kids. We can't just hangout here forever after what we just pulled." Vince said, his voice growing louder. "You don't even know what's there!"

I looked at Thomas, Vince had a point. We were going to a random place in the middle of nowhere. A place where we most likely would get killed.

"I do" A voice spoke out as they came into view. It was Jorge. "It's been a view years, but i've been there. Wicked calls it 'The Last City'. It was their whole base of operations. If that's city is still standing, that's the last place you wanna go, hermano"

"It's nothing we haven't done before" I spoke up.

"Yeah, but we had months of planning, and reliable information, the element surprise, none of which we have now" Vince said loudly.

"Vince, would you just hear me out. I've thought this through" Thomas stated.

"No! Because last time we did this half-cooked, I lost everything... Do you remember that?" Vince snapped. "Look, I know it's Minho on the line, but you can't ask me to put those kids on the line for one man. I just won't do it."

Vince was right, we couldn't sacrifice 100 kids just to save Minho. I looked at Thomas as he was deep in thought. I knew what I was going to do.

"Searching the grid now. A is completed. Scanning B-sector now" The walkie-talkie on the counter said through static noises.

"Shit! Cut the lights! Go!" I ordered the boys. 

I shuffled to the other side of the room, pulling down a switch that turned off a quarter of the lights. Thomas, Fry, and Newt turned off the other lights. Brenda ran towards the huts, informing all of the kids on what was happening.

We heard the sound of a Berg shutter close by our base as we saw the large flashlight from the Berg scan our base.

"They're getting close, I mumbled. "You're right... We can't just stay here." 

- - - -

The meeting ended shortly after, as we all went out separate ways. I walked over to my hammock, shoving stuff into my bag. I made sure I was quiet as the rest of the kids were sleeping. 

A girl mumbled by me, as her eyes began to open. She got up from her sleeping position, sitting in her hammock as she watched me.

"Ms. Y/N?" She asked, her voice obviously tired.

I looked up. "Yes?"

"Where are you going?" She questioned.

"Just on a walk, I'll be back later" I assured her, giving her a small smile. "Now, come on, you need sleep. Vince is going to put you to work tomorrow" 

I helped her lay back down as I put her blanket around her snuggly. Her face was happy and calm. 

I walked out towards the entrance of our camp, seeing a figure also walking forward.

"Y/N?" They asked. I let my eyes adjust to the darkness as I saw his face. Thomas.

"Thomas?"

"What are you doing, Y/N? You should be sleeping." Thomas whispered.

"You should be sleeping too" I shot back.

A light flicked on, revealing me and Thomas. Newt stood infront of a car, his arms folded over his torso.

"Where do you think you're going, then?" Newt said as he looked at Thomas. His eyes now lay on me, going wide.

"Y/N? What in the bloody hell are you doing here?" Newt questioned.

"Well... I was going to save Minho-"

"Y/N! You're going to get yourself hurt!" Newt said to me.

"No, I wont! You need more people to help too!" I stated.

Newt stared at me for a second, contemplating whether or not if I should go.

"I'm going even if you say no" I informed the boy.

The door to the car swung open, revealing Fry in the front seat. He had a smile all over his face.

"C'mon Newt, let her come with us" Fry said to the boy.

"Fine..." Newt said, annoyed with us.

"Let's go save Minho!" I said happily as I shoved my way through to get shotgun.

The sun had begun rising as we were only halfway there. I slept most of the car ride as the others talked about god knows what. Long car rides just weren't the same. Usually Minho would make jokes or be annoying.

"Y/N, we're here" Newt's voice said tome as he shook me awake slightly. I mumbled a response before opening my eyes. 

We stepped out of the car. Stopping at a tunnel of some sort. It looked to be run down. 

"You want us to go in there?" Fry asked Thomas skeptically.

"I don't want to come off as negative, but if I was a Crank, that's exactly where I would be" I added in.

"I don't think we have a choice..." Thomas said to us. I sighed... he was right, on the map, that was the only way to get into the Last City.

"All right... I call shotgun this time" Newt said to us as he gave me a look. I nodded as I hopped into the back.

The tunnel was dark, so Newt held up an extra large flashlight to lead the way. Cars were all around us, looking like they had never been touched in years. 

A/N : i'm watching kickin it while i'm making this chapter. it's actually so nice. anywho i hope you all enjoyed this chapter :) mwah i love you <3