chapter 23 || tunnels

"Good Evening!" The voice boomed.

I looked over to the fellow Gladers, fear and concern written all over my face.

"This is the World Catastrophe Killzone Department" 

The abbreviation registered in my head as Janson's voice said that. WCKD. They're back...

"We have your compound completely surrounded. You find yourselves, through no fault of your own in possession of Wicked property."

A man walked into the room, the same one that had come in when Jorge was talking to us. This time though, he walked in with a shotgun and walkie-talkie.

"Janson, I got 'em for ya. Don't shoot" His voice snarled through the walkie-talkie. "Come on, let's go!" 

I looked at the rest of the group, were we really going to follow him, just for him to sell us back to Wicked?

"I said let's go! You little bastard!" The man shouted at us as he grabbed ahold of my arm.

"Let her go!" Newt's voice spoke up, but his grip didn't loosen, it just tightened.

A song had begun playing in the background, all of us looking at each other, questioning why?

The man stuck the gun up to my head, yelling at the rest of the group to follow us. 

"Let me go!" I said as I squirmed through his grasp.

A bullet rang through the group as my heart began to race, faster and faster. Our eyes widened as we looked at the rest of our surroundings, checking ourselves for bullet holes.

The man behind me collapsed to the floor as everything fell on him. His walkie-talkie fell, his gun did, and so did his body.

"We don't have much time! Let's go!" The same brunette girl yelled at us. 

We looked at each other for a quick second before sprinting right after her. She lead us through multiple hallways, leading back to the same office space where we met Jorge. 

"I'm Brenda by the way" She panted.

"Right this way!" Jorge said to us as he grabbed a piece of fabric from overhead as it dropped down multiple more pieces of fabric. 

I looked out the large hole in the wall, it revealed a zip line that strung from our building to a second one that was run down.

"You gotta be kidding me!" Minho shouted.

"You kids wanna get to the Right Arm? I'll lead you guys to them, but you're gonna have to owe me! Follow me!" Jorge said to the group as he went flying down the zip line.

"Alright come on!" Jorge shouted from across the ravine.

I watched as one by one, the boys went filing out. 

"Aris, go!" I shouted to him. He quickly gave me a nod before he went flying.

"Teresa, you're next!" Thomas yelled to the girl. She went by quickly too, now it was just me, Thomas, and Newt.

Newt was the last one left, but he looked at me before pulling at the cloth.

"Newt, go!" I yelled at the blond.

"No, you go first!" He yelled back.

"One of you love birds go before all three of us die!" The brunette shouted.

By now, I had put Newt's hand securely on the cloth, pushing him out of the room.

"Y/N!" I heard him shout, but I couldn't respond. Brenda had begun running off.