chapter 38 || you're crazy.

"In here! In here!" Thomas gestured to a door. We all quickly ran in, slamming it shut behind us and locking the door.

"Newt! Come here and help me!" Minho said as he began tipping over a shelf.

"Someone get this door open!" Janson's muffled voice commanded from behind the metal door. 

My heart beat fast. It almost felt like it was going to beat right out of my chest.

I looked around my surroundings a bit more, realizing we had just trapped ourselves.

"Oh shit" Minho mumbled as he too realized our predicament.

We were stuck in a room. There was no way out. Our only exit was the door, but we'd get killed.

Newt's mask was also now fully off. Sweat beaded all along his forehead, and he gasped for air every now and then. I could see the veins making their way up his neck, almost reaching up to his chin. We needed that serum. And we needed it fast.

"Hey, you're going to be okay" I said to him as I placed a small kiss on his cheek.

"Don't worry about me, Love" Newt mumbled.

"Any ideas?" Minho asked, oblivious to me and Newt.

"Maybe..." Thomas said skeptically as he grabbed a large tube of sorts, throwing it out the window.

I stepped closer to the edge, seeing a large pool of water. 

"You're insane..." I said aloud.

"It's doable... You just need a running start" Thomas said to us, obviously trying to convince himself that this was doable and that we wouldn't plummet to our deaths.

"You sure about this?" Newt asked.

"Not really" Thomas said with a small smile.

"Nice pep talk pretty boy" I said annoyed with his response.

"Yeah, we're all bloody inspired" Newt said, making the rest of us laugh.

"Move it! Move it!" Jansons voice said loud and clear. 

We all snapped our heads towards the door, watching it in slow motion as it was opened with force.

"Shit! Go! Go!" I yelled as I jumped first, the three other boys following after me. 

"Thomas!" Minho shouted as he screamed for his life.

"Thomas if we die, I'm killing you!" I screamed.

I braced for the impact. The cold night air rushing against my skin. It was freeing. I landed in the water with a loud splash as I allowed my body to sink.

I gasped for air once my head met the surface, looking around my surroundings. None of the others were back up yet.

"Newt? Thomas? Minho?" I called out, no answers. 

Suddenly, their heads popped up as their hair was plastered to their foreheads, all of them also gasping for air, but Newt's head kept sinking.

"Newt!" I yelled as I began to swim towards him, helping him stand up right.

The four of us began swimming towards the rim of the pool of water, all of us still gasping for air. 

"You four, freeze!" A male's voice shouted to us as he held us at gunpoint. A few other guards surrounded us, all of them holding up their guns.

My hands flew to the air in surrender, not wanting to die right at that moment. We slowly got out of the pool, beginning to walk a bit.

"Take it easy" I said to them as I showed myself with no weapons.

"Get on your knees with your hands in the air" The guard commanded to us. I began to kneel down as one by one, the guards grunted, falling to the floor.

A Wicked Guard stood behind them, holding his gun at each one of them. He quickly took off his mask, revealing Gally. 

"You guys are crazy" He said as he gave us a small laugh.

I looked over at Minho as his emotion changed to shock. He looked at each one of us, asking us if we were seeing the same thing. "Gally?"

"Minho." Gally responded as he gave the boy a small grin.

 I walked over to Newt, putting his arm around my shoulder. He looked worse. His eyes were losing their beautiful brown color, and were turning darker and lifeless within minutes. It saddened me, knowing that I had just figured out my feelings for him.

Minho glanced at us every now and then. I knew that he figured out that Newt had the Flare... They had just seen each other after six months apart too. 

We sprinted quickly away from the pool of water as the sound of helicopters and cars came near. I skidded into a courtyard as the rest of the boys followed after me. I ducked by a tree that had a concrete base, Thomas and Gally settled beside me as Newt and Minho settled near a close by one. All of us gasped for air. Newt on the other hand, let out a storm of coughs, making our attention turn towards him. 

"Well, they're definitely pissed" Gally said to Thomas and I, making us break into a small laugh.

"How far are the tunnels?" Thomas asked. 

"Uh about 12ish blocks from here" Gally replied.

Newt's coughs grew harsher as Minho stared intently at his best friend. I stared at Newt's pale face. His veins were at his chin now, growing closer to his cheeks. My face dropped. All of my thoughts turned into 'Will Newt make it?'

Gally seemed to have noticed my change in demeanor. "We can make it" 

I heard Minho and Newt talking, Newts voice was airy while Minho tried to lighten up the mood for him. Minho slumped over to us, whispering into my ear.

"Hey, how long has he been like this?" He asked.

"Minho, he'll be okay... We just have to get him to Brenda, she has the serum" I said, avoiding his question. To be honest, I wasn't sure how long Newt was hiding the Flare from us. I just wish he had told us sooner, because maybe we could've done something.

I threw off my jacket, walking over towards Newt. His body was now slumped, leaning against the concrete. Thomas followed after me.

"Hey, Newt, we gotta get you up" I said as I gave him a smile. Holding out my hands for him to take. 

Newt grabbed my hands as he stood up, stumbling over his feet as he got up.

"Woah woah woah!" Thomas and I exclaimed as Newt fell onto me, bringing me down as he toppled on top of me.

"Gosh, I'm so sorry Y/N, he said to me. His face was inches away from mine, making my heart flutter.

"N-No, it's fine. No need to be sorry" I stammered. I somehow got words out. 

"You okay, Newt?" Thomas asked as he helped the blond off of me.

"Yeah." He replied simply. 

We all began our journey to the tunnels, Thomas and I helping Newt, while Minho and Gally stayed infront, keeping guard. The courtyard was dark, besides the lights that came off from the skyscrapers, but that was until a loud crashing noise came. Light emitted in the distance, almost like fire. An explosion. It shined directly in our faces as we all stood there to watch it erupt. 

All of us stood taller as we watched flames go flying. A bomb had gone off, and not a beautiful one. 

published : february 6th, 2023

A/N : i have an essay i should be writing but look what i'm doing LMAO. i'm procrastinating like crazy it isn't good. anywho i hope you all liked this chapter mwah !